Respected Contributor

Thinking of making either a butter cake or a sponge cake. The trouble is the recipe makes Two cakes and I have only a tabletop oven that will fit only one 9" pan at a time.  Will the batter be okay to sit until the first cake is out of the oven?  Thank you for any tips or wisdoms on this.

Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Thinking of making either a butter cake or a sponge cake. The trouble is the recipe makes Two cakes and I have only a tabletop oven that will fit only one 9" pan at a time.  Will the batter be okay to sit until the first cake is out of the oven?  Thank you for any tips or wisdoms on this.

It will be absolutely fine. Happy Baking!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Valued Contributor

It will be fine .

Respected Contributor

I think it would be okay. I do that with cupcakes since I only have one cupcake pan.   I usually re-stir the batter a bit before pouring the second batch into the cupcake pan to make sure it didn’t separate while sitting. 

Respected Contributor

@candys mine   Should come out just fine since it is not like you are going to have it sit out for hours before baking the second pan of batter.

Happy cake making!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418, @Chessa35, @itsmagic , @aroc3435   THANK YOU ALL!  Things have gotten a bit up ended arond here lately and I want to make a birthday cake for my sister who has been an absolute Rock to her family.  I've always baked both cakes at once and was worried about the levener petering out before it got into the oven.  BIRTHDAY IS GO!!  Thanks so much to all!

Honored Contributor

just don't treat anything with yeast that way. Yeast is finicky. LOL

Respected Contributor

@SharkE  Thanks Sharke!  Someday I'm going to try sweet baking with yeast.  I will keep this tip in mind.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE 

I don't know where you came up with that thought process.

Yeast is probably the most forgiving, you actually let it sit for hours for it to rise, even punching it down and giving it a second rise, your product will be fine between the first batch let's say rolls and the second batch.

Even for a pan of cinnamon rolls, they might raise a tad more but they'll be fine.

What am I missing?

Honored Contributor

I don't like mine to sit out as long as it takes for my oven to preheat.

You run the chance it will sink. Somebody opens a door and the draft will make it fall. (I usually let it raise in a cold oven)