Super Contributor

I bet the cake is delicious, as your's in the freezer is also.  I have a couple of new bakeries that just popped up in my area.  One is run by 2 young people in their 30"s, and the cake is certainly tasty, (but too sweet for me), and a cake slice is $5.00.  Full cakes are going for $35 and up.  I haven't tried the other bakery but their prices seem comparative with custom bakeries.  The bakery in the grocery store isn't as great of a quality, but again, it's tasty.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

I find it very hard to see why someone would pay $59 (on sale from $65) for a single cake.

I have a coconut cake in my freezer right now that was $5.95 purchased at my local grocery store. I could order $10 of those cakes and have them delivered. I think all of the food at the Q are overpriced, but this takes the "cake."

Maybe to some it's worth it.  If the price tag is not for you and you like your choice better, then why worry about what others will pay.

Honored Contributor

I have no problem paying for a quality product.  I used to think Publix had the best cakes in my area -- a 1/2 sheet cake is approx. $50 (2 layer) but a new bakery just opened by 2 young girls.

I buy their cupcakes $6.50/each.  I just bought a cute bday cupcake for my friend.  They are absolutely delicious and that's a compliment coming from me as I bake from scratch.

I don't care for "frozen" desserts except for cheesecake from Sams .. yummy.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

I find it very hard to see why someone would pay $59 (on sale from $65) for a single cake.

I have a coconut cake in my freezer right now that was $5.95 purchased at my local grocery store. I could order $10 of those cakes and have them delivered. I think all of the food at the Q are overpriced, but this takes the "cake."

You can't really compare a $5.95 grocery store cake (even a very good grocery store cake) to other cakes.  I've had very expensive,designer high-end cakes at various events, and there's a world of difference.  Good bakeries in my area charge a lot for cakes too, but they're well worth it.  My local grocery store has a wonderful bakery dept - They do a great job.  I have no problem with grocery store cakes.  But there's really no comparision.

I do agree that the food at QVC is overpriced.  It's worth it to some people, though, for the convenience.  Or to send as a gift.  Or for a special occasion. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: $59 for a cake?

[ Edited ]

@manny2 wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

Large two layer cakes are not inexpensive, even from local bakeries where they can run easily $45 to $50 for an everyday cake. That is actually an excellent price. Less expensive than the vendor's website. Plus the shipping is included in the price. Savannah's charges shipping, and at this time of year an up charge for summer delivery.

To me it's nice to know you can send a quality product, which they are, to friends and family for a celebration, thinking of you, or just because.

@Etoile308Cakes the same size are not $45 or $50 in local bakeries. QVC food prices are outrageous. As long as people are willing to pay their inflated prices they will continue to sell.

I bought Jr's cheesecake in Costco for $14.99, and Mama Mancini meatballs in my local grocery store for $6.99. So you do the math on what they are making charging these prices.

Bakeries in my area absolutely do charge $45 and $50.  And more!  @Etoile308 is correct.

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee  I was just on the Neiman site looking for a gift for Fathers Day and they have the cutest Fathers Day cake. It is an eight inch round cake that has fondant shaped into a blue polo shirt. It's $79.

Neiman's also has a carrot cake for $120.

Would "i" buy them? No I wouldn't. I can see what you are saying. But....there are many people who do and would buy them. I like to bake my own. Different talents and different budgets. We are all different.

IMO, the $59 cake at the Q is a deal. I had a Savannah orange creamsicle cake last year for a special friends birthday and it was phenomenal.

Honored Contributor

Re: $59 for a cake?

[ Edited ]

@manny2 wrote:

That is simply not true @Pook my local grocery store has one of the best bakeries around, and the cake is not $45 or $50. We also have great bakeries here too, and while they are not cheap a cake that size in not $45 or $50.

If people want to pay $50 for a cake that is up to them, but you are not getting a better cake

@manny2  I was referring to the run of the mill $5.95 cake that definitely is not up to par in taste and quality.  There could be exceptions but not too many.   A cake does not have to be $59.00 dollars but you have to figure shipping and handling that would be at least $10..00 or more.  Yes you can get a good cake at some bakeries in local grocery stores but it is not the norm!!!  Like I stated I bake a lot. I need to use quality ingredients and know to get what I like so my taste in baked goods is not grocery store!  Some may not care (many because they know nothing else)  and are satisfied with lesser tasting baked goods!  I will not eat anything I do not care for - especially in baked goods!  When I turned down a piece of cake when  we would have people bringing them to work everyone would comment on my will power but it was not that - just that I really did not like those cakes that had too sweet tasteless icing and cakes that were box cake quality with no substance!  We all have preferences and choices and that is a good thing.  

Honored Contributor

Why has this not been banned?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

I would pay that if it was somthing wanted!

I always have a Pepperidge Farms layer cake (or 2) in my freezer.  We think they're very good and can be pulled out last minute when we need something to serve.  The coconut is sooo good and we serve it with fresh berries.   I buy a couple when our market has them on sale BOGO, so I'll get 2 of them for $6.  

BUT,  my hubby loves the white almond cake from our local Italian bakery.  For his birthday last month, I got a 6 inch round double layer cake for $55.  No fillings, nothing fancy.  Just a very good cake and frosting.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't waste my calories on a frozen grocery store cake...any brand!  I wouldn't waste my calories on a box mix cake or dessert either.

Now Wegman's has incredible baked goods...but they are NOT 'cheap' either.

The Mini Ultimate Chocolate Cake is $10 bucks!  The Mini cakes with fruit topped are over $16.  Their plain Cheesecake is $25.

Ounce per ounce they are priced comparably to QVC.

Locally owned bakeries near us charge even higher.

I don't buy many baked goods because I always make my own from scratch ...but if I wanted to...I would order.

YES, $59 for a cake.