Honored Contributor

It isn't a new gadget that does 3 things

It isn't the latest frgrance from Philosophy 

I've been reading and thinking about some food items posted and behold . . .

they were ALL on SALE  this week at Stop and Shop

I got Rao's Roasted Garlic sauce - never tried it and always wanted to. I usually doctor a jar sauce and never made my own.

Outshine in my tried and true flavors of Mango and Pineapple. Couldn't find the Banana that someone raved about. Love banana milk shakes, banana cream pie, banana bread - you get where I'm going. Bummed about that so I consoled myself with....

TALENTI - Pistachio cause I love it and Chocolate Peanut Butter. 2 guys were stocking the case and I couldn't spend as much time as I would like to explore the flavors, They also have the layers that is new. I picked up Peanut Fudge Chocolate or something like that. Saw that the bottom as just a bunch of peanuts and put it back.

So THANK YOU for posting all those raves and can't wait to try them out. 

C R A P - forgot about the Ritz crackers....next time

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey 

I have made my own sauce for a million years.  You would not have found a jar in my pantry....until recently.

DV always raves about Rao.  I was asked last min to prepare a funeral meal.  My go to is Heartland Chix made into chix parm. with pasta and my own sauce.

Not ONE container of sauce in the freezer?  GAH!

It is fantastic.  Since we are now empty nested, I may never make a pot of sauce again unless I have a huge gathering!  I have tried 3 varieties now and every one is better than the other.  More money that others....but I didn't even add one extra thing!  So it was worth it.

Hope Gram and Mom aren't looking down on these Italian atrocities!  LOL

I hope you enjoy it! 

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

I grew up with Chef Boy R Dee - so what do I know.

I always thought jar sauce tasted fine if I added extras like fresh garlic and herbs etc

We shall see - but then my unsophicated taste buds may not notice the difference

I only know what I like and don't like if I have a side by side comparison

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey 

That's funny....I grew up in an Italian family.  Every gram, auntie etc had the BEST sauce or so they all claimed.  It would be a mortal sin to have a jar!

BUT, I did have jarred at friends houses all the time.  I never found one that was very good to me.  You are right, maybe your pallet won't notice!  My MIL, used to use Campbells Tomato soup and put herbs in it!  No offense to that sweet lady, but it was gross!  LOL  I sure noticed the difference.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

I'm picky about biscotti - and always made my own - go figure

I don't know how authentic they are but an italian coworker many years ago said they were very good

thiis is the last batch of Almond Cranberry as I don't tend to bake in the summer and they do last a long long time. Out of the oven right now and my last applie tart is in the oven right now. I tend to run hot and anything 80 and above and I'm sweating.

IMG_1412.JPG

Honored Contributor

Oh gosh @Yahooey  do those ever look good.  Now I have never made biscotti!

I bake a lot and it is on my bucket list to try sometime.

Would you mind sharing the recipe?  TIA!

I purchase biscotti from the Q which I love, but I am sure I am over paying!  While they are better than any store brand (including the Italian Market) that I have tried, I just know homemade would be better!

Honored Contributor
1/2 stick butter (room temp)
3/4 cup toasted chopped nuts
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup dried cranberries
Zest of orange

Set oven to 350 degrees
In standmixer -beat butter, baking powder, flour, sugar and salt

In separate bowl - beat eggs + vanilla.

Pour mixture into standmixer.

Stir in almonds, cranberries and zest

Form 2 logs - bake 30 minutes (should be lightly golden on top)
Turn down oven to 275
When logs are cool enough to handle slice and return to sheet pan

Bake 30 minutes at 275
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

The recipe came from Martha Stewart a gazllion years ago and I couldn't find it online right now. I doctored it a bit. Most probably is less sugar - I tend to reduce sugar if I find it too sweet after following the recipe exactly. So the language is written short hand and not as technical as in written recipes.

I'm a lazy baker - I never understood why you dry them out flat and turn them over to dry out the other side. I stand them up like soldiers so they dry out both sides at the same time for the second bake.

I put down lightly golden cause once - i just slice them after cooling for the 2nd bake and the dough was slightly raw inside. So I make sure they are a bit golden before slicing. 

Martha, Ina and ATK are my go to for baking.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

pie is out - gotta wait a bit before cutting 

just in time for a nightime snack

IMG_1413.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey 

I thank you kindly for sharing that recipe with me!  Biscotti has been on my bucket list to try for so long!  Thanks again!

May I have vanilla ice cream on my slice of that pie?  Lazy baker, I'm not sure that is the best way to describe you!  Look at all that gorgeous lattice on that gem!