Valued Contributor

Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka September 2017 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...::)

How is everyone?  We're gearing up for another week-long high 90s heatwave here in SoCal.  I fear that all of the weather disasters will be commonplace every year.  Sorry, I've been under the weather again and hope to participate more this thread.  Has anyone had their DNA ancestry done?  Any surprises?  We just received our results and both had surprises relating to our mothers whom we both thought had a single country background.  Both of our mothers also had rarer DNA; mine was only in 2% of Europeans, though common in her parents' country which is smack in the middle of Europe.  Our fathers' ancestry both turned out to be exactly what we were told, though I was surprised to learn I am even more British than I thought.  Also, they couldn't identify Native Americans going back more than five generations and I know my Chippewa ancestor was from farther back, so that was a little disappointing.  Please share your experiences with DNA ancestry!

More Ripka for everyone--a short visit this time:  Wednesday 4-6AM Eastern Standard Time (1-3AM Pacific Standard Time); 2-4PM EST (11AM-1PM PST).

What are you interested in and/or getting?  There are several green Jade pieces on sale for this visit...  And how is life treating you?  Please share.  Take care~Peach

Respected Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka September 2017 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...::)

Hi, LuckyPeach.  I have not had my DNA tested, so I will have to limit myself to jewelry talk.  I ordered the new pink jade earrings as I found them irresistable, and as I only wear clip-on earrings, and they are on waitlist, I will have to wait for them.  Hope everything is going well for you.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka September 2017 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...::)

Hi Peachie and all,

Can't comment on DNA...I'm a historian fortunate enough to have the family background charted far enough back to care. Sending my spit to a private company also gives me the willies, LOL.

ove the Lenora and Lenny cuff in silver...love my big cats, but they're still too steep for me to pull the trigger.  There are some half decent sale prices, but I snagged her fire opal ring .... exquisite by the way....and am enjoying thzt treasure for now. Otherwise, just enjoying the show on a rare day off from working in strange 90 degree heat in PA.

Valued Contributor

Jersey Born, so nice to hear from you!  How are you doing?  How's the weather back East?

DH is in Canada for the week, working with the Canadian government which is interested in his NASA invention which finds methane leaks.  It is a minaturization of an instrument currently on the Mars Rover.

I do like those pink Jade earrings very much.  Nice choice!  I wonder why they are on waitlist already.  I love Jade and got the oval ring with the lowered price.  I have a real weakness for it and am glad to see Judith bringing it back into the line.

What do you think of Judith's lighter hair color?  This is generally the same color of most of my hair.  I'm no good with dying and my hair just cannot handle it so there's some medium to lighter brown in there along with about 30% sparkly grey (which I call squirrels, as in "how did those squirrels get into my hair?").

I happened to see Allison back last night (Pacific Time) and really enjoy her.  She's so natural, thoughtful about Judith's designs and very loyal, all traits I admire.

I am hoping the clad versions of JR's original reversible heart enhancer (from the original black leather magnetic necklace) return to stock because I missed them and want the rose and gold versions.  I still wear the original and have a couple of backups from Over There (major auction site).

Did you see that on Q2, Judith is having a TSV on November 2, I believe Carolyn said?  I cannot keep up.  She also said JR won't be back for a month.  This, I do not understand.  Is the Q cutting back?

Thanks for posting.  Take care~ Peach

Actual stats:  Chicagoan now in LA; Join Date: May 8, 2008; Post Count: 11,698,

Save the vaquita!  VivaVaquita dot org.

Valued Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Hi Peachie and all,

Can't comment on DNA...I'm a historian fortunate enough to have the family background charted far enough back to care. Sending my spit to a private company also gives me the willies, LOL.

ove the Lenora and Lenny cuff in silver...love my big cats, but they're still too steep for me to pull the trigger.  There are some half decent sale prices, but I snagged her fire opal ring .... exquisite by the way....and am enjoying thzt treasure for now. Otherwise, just enjoying the show on a rare day off from working in strange 90 degree heat in PA.

Sammycat~So good to hear from you.  Yes, the heat is ridiculous, but since most of TPTB are pretending it doesn't exist, mitigation is far off.  Most of our summer here was so bad we usually just saw lots of people out only in the early morning and in the evening.  When you see the weather charts on your evening news, the SoCal ones they show are only for Orange County on the ocean.  The other 12 million of us here are suffering temps about 10-15 degrees higher.  We have seen more 100+ days already than projections were for 10 years down the road.

Yes, I get it about the DNA and vacillated on doing it for several years.  A sale finally got me, haha.  My father's side is so well documented because he had three Mayflower ancestors and that side of the family was very interested in tracking everyone down.  Another ancestor was present when Cornwallis surrendered.  My mother's side is much more mysterious and I'm hoping to convince my one 98-year-old aunt who is the only one left of that generation to do it so the cousins can confirm where that side of the family came from.  Truly, the science confirms it.  My DH's mother had the name and claim of one country but it turns out she was only 20% of that origin.  This all is taking a mental adjustment.  I was wary of the health but now I know I have none of the no-no markers and feel more empowered to work on environment and food.

I am crazy for all animals and JR's incredible designs.  I agree about the steepness problem.  I did get the Panda cuff Over There (major auction site) for a reasonable price and love it.  Most of the "sale" prices I noticed are only -$5 or -$6 off, though it is possible to find a good one of you look closely. 

Congrats on the Fire Opal ring, excellent!!!  I was able to find a couple of years ago a fair price for the Fire Opal cuff.

How are you feeling?  I am tackling my lung issue with Artemisinin, though I think the base problem is the lone metal implant in the energy meridian connected to lungs.

Take care~Peach

Esteemed Contributor

Hey Peach,

Glad you snagged that panda piece.  I took a shine to the new larimar ring but I'm waiting for Creede silver day.  Also liked the new leather band watch.

Doing ok but one ankle deteriorating rapidly and needs ankle replacement, so I'm researching surgeons for tgat.  DH has cervical myelopathy and needs surgery too. All the parts are falling off!

Good luck on the mysterious family history.  I hope your ancestor kicked Cornwallis in the butt -- he deserved it.

Take care! Oh, FYI, DH got Apple TV, so now he gets 3 NASA/JPL channels and is in 7th heaven.

Respected Contributor

The weather is rather warm, at 85 degrees, but it is supposed to go down to the 70's tomorrow.  

Your husband does some very interesting work.  Is he an engineer of some kind?  Hope his invention is something that governments will want to use, and that it will be very profitable for you both.  It is scary how methane can just build up and then bubble out of a lake, killing an entire village.  

I am sure you will like that jade ring.  That jade looked colorful and very pretty.  

I think Judith looks great with any color hair, even though she is a natural brunette.  My hair turns a scary, ugly, wire grey if it is not "treated," shall we say.  It is not an attractive white-grey, or I just might let it grow in that way.  Sparkly grey sounds nice!

Allison is a lovely person.  She is all heart. 

Speaking of hearts-- that reversible heart-- I hope you find what you are looking for.  The original is puffy and fun to wear.

I wonder what Judith's Q2 TSV will be?  Hmmmmm....

Trusted Contributor

@LuckyPeach,

I watched the shows when I got home and love her menagerie collection. Started with the lion a few months ago and now I went for the frog and also the panter cuff in silver very Cartier like, I wish she also did some interesting earrings to match. cannot wait for her TSV🌻

Respected Contributor

QVC has announced that they are cutting back on selling jewelry.  Ripka is their best selling jewelry designer.  She still gets more time on air than any other jewelry vendor. She also will be on air for Creede silver day.