Frequent Contributor

prices of sterling bracelets

I went browsing through Jewelry-New Arrivals-Bracelets this morning and a couple of them caught my eye.  Then the prices caught my eye.  For example J344289 , a woven bracelet with a crystal buckle was $380.00!  I don't mind clad or crystal but that price tag had me laughing out loud!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: prices of sterling bracelets

I know what you mean about some of the prices... It just doesn't make any sense.  Check out J344347.  $200.00 (After shipping and tax) for these sterling silver earrings?  There are no gems, or diamonds or gold and I'm sure they aren't too heavy because they are earrings.  I miss the good old days of affordable jewelry and all the good silver shows.  

Honored Contributor

They certainly have a high opinion of their new acquisitions.  Then they'll wonder why jewelry sales are down.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't know if they're over priced or not. I was at the mall over the weekend looking for a simple/classic sterling silver charm bracelet that you add charms to. The CHEAPEST was $135...NO CHARMS ON IT and on sale. Just a plain link silver bracelet.

I looked at the woman and she said she hears it all the time but the cost of silver is high as more people are demanding it over gold because gold is so expensive. Didn't matter what store I went to.... expensive. Walmart sells one for $65 but the clasp is so small you struggle to open it (not I nor the sales person could do so).

Respected Contributor

Silver  is under $20.00 per ounce.  That is cheap.  Remember many of us bought gold when it was cheap and it was $300.00 per ounce and that was for 24K.

Esteemed Contributor

I was looking at a SS bracelet last week.  It was 80.00 and on easy pay.  I had it in cart and was thinking about it and now it is $130.00??   Don't think so.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch  I don't think she meant (or maybe she did) the actual cost of silver but the fact that it's all about supply and demand; since people WANT silver, silver is more because they can charge more.

Super Contributor

I agree. Many of us that were once gold purests are going to silver because the cost of gold is so high. If people are buying a lot more silver it makes no sense to keep increasing the prices when it's $20 an ounce. Many of us are even passing on nice silver pieces because of the cost. All we can really do is refuse to buy and hope the stores and shopping channels will get the picture. I love jewelry so when I see a thin little plain bangle that has almost no weight with an asking price $600 or more I think it's just crazy. I stick with clearance and even then I buy only silver because gold is still so high. Like the rest of you, I really miss those days when the shopping channels had at least one jewelry show a day and the prices were great.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@esmeraldagooch  I don't think she meant (or maybe she did) the actual cost of silver but the fact that it's all about supply and demand; since people WANT silver, silver is more because they can charge more.

That may be true Sahmlam.  Some remember when silver was $3.00 per ounce and that was cheap.   Workmanship and the casting and creating the jewelry has some cost involved then profit and marketing.   I do wish they did the silver shows without designer names like they used to.   The un-named jewelry was substantially cheaper than the designer pieces and just as nice.

Esteemed Contributor

I refuse to buy overpriced sterling silver jewelry and especially those items that have a "celebrity" name attached to it. I could care less if some "celebrity" wears, endorses, or makes those overpriced items.