Trusted Contributor

Re: Whats up with the Italy show

I was looking forward to this because of the change in venue and tone of the show.  Now the focus is on the jewelry, so that needed to be outstanding in some way.  

I watched about 45 minutes last night, thought maybe they were just doing Bronzo during the 11-12 hour.  But as I look at recent items on air, I see they are sticking with it.  So I have to agree that I don't see traveling to Italy for this.  It's great to offer a variety of price points, but I'm not seeing much variety.    

QVC used to say they were presenting styles we would find if we traveled to Italy.  I find that hard to believe with the focus on bronzo.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

I was looking forward to this because of the change in venue and tone of the show.  Now the focus is on the jewelry, so that needed to be outstanding in some way.  

I watched about 45 minutes last night, thought maybe they were just doing Bronzo during the 11-12 hour.  But as I look at recent items on air, I see they are sticking with it.  So I have to agree that I don't see traveling to Italy for this.  It's great to offer a variety of price points, but I'm not seeing much variety.    

QVC used to say they were presenting styles we would find if we traveled to Italy.  I find that hard to believe with the focus on bronzo.   

The Italy show is the reason I only purchase jewelry on Evine Live or an occasional piece by Victoria Wieck. 

Contributor

I enjoyed watching a little bit last night, like the more casual format and the models were more relaxed as well.  I loved Lisa in Italy and the gowns and the estates, but I think this format fits Antonella more.  I agree lots of Bronzo and crystal, but it makes it more afforable for me and I have picked up a couple of pieces.

Respected Contributor

QVC chooses to do these shows in Italy because it believes they will attract customers and drive sales.  From a marketing perspective showing lots of Bronzo jewelry,  in Italy, and saying it's straight from the fair, gives the jewelry credibility and importance... whether it's Bronzo, or crystal, or silver.   And just maybe,  because of the price of gold and the world economy,  the Italian jewelry designers and manufacturers are focusing on things other than gold and precious stones.  After all,  a jewelry fair has many vendors and not all are producing the high end gold pieces.

Buy or don't buy,  watch or don't watch... that is your option.  Personally,  I like to see the styles of the new items, even if they are Bronzo.  It lets me know my 'old' jewelry is back in fashion.  I remember many of those links and styles from before the turn of the century....

the 1990's,  when gold was affordable.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you. I really like the new format and find it both relaxing and enjoyable. Antonella is doing an excellent job. I share her passion for jewelry and love seeing the street scene and the factory visits.

Honored Contributor

I saw Amy showing a nice silver necklace.  If I had been shopping I may have considered that one.  The prices seem to be reasonable.  I stated before that the show would be very interesting if they were taping from the Fair.  That would be interesting.  I am not saying anything against Antonella, She is always pleasant. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you. Antonella has done an excellent job of setting expectations and explaining the new approach/format for this year's event. I love to watch her and did see a few gold pieces. I'm a purist and buy only the gold. I have my eye on a couple of pieces for my birthday gift and anniversary present.  She can only present what QVC purchases but this year there does seem to be a bit more new regardless of the metal. That's a start.  

Occasional Contributor

Have been watching the show this morning.  Seems like there are way too many Bronzo pieces.  I am not interested in Bronzo as I would not want to be handing down my jewelry to my family knowing that I am giving them bronze or having them find out that what they thought was 14K or silver was really bronze.  So as they say on Shark Tank - I'm out.

Respected Contributor

I used to like Lisa's shows from Italy.  Antonella is not as glamorous as Lisa R, but the lighting and setting could have been better.  

Valued Contributor

I remember on a past jewelry show when the TSV was bronze twisted hoop earrings,  the Italian vendor for Blue Oro said that when the price of gold went up it put a lot of jewelry companies out of business because they couldn't the afford to purchase the raw material anymore. So I would imagine the majority of the jewelry being bought and sold over there is other than gold for the mainstream consumer.