Esteemed Contributor

What's the best adhesive for bezel set stones?

The stone has come out of a favorite ring of mine, a sterling Or Paz cigar band with a white agate.  (I'm lucky I didn't lose the stone). 

Will Super Glue work?  Suggestions?

Thanks.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: What's the best adhesive for bezel set stones?

@Shanus  Can you help?  @Sweetbay magnolia Shanus is a silversmith so I'm sure she'll know. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Michael's sells a jewelry adhesive, don't use super glue, too brittle when it dries
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia. Hi. The best thing to do is have the stone reset by a jeweler. If the stone is glued down, if it ever cracks, it can't be removed & the entire piece of jewelry is compromised. If you insist, no super glue. Sometimes jewelers use GOOP...a glue found at Michael's or craft stores....in rare cases when no other repair method is available. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good to know!  Thank you for the response.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm having 2nd thoughts about Or Paz now after reading this.

The spinner ring that was the TSV a while back?  I didn't purchase it but I did purchase the matching earrings.    The post is way too soft.  I'm sure it will eventually break off.

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

The stone has come out of a favorite ring of mine, a sterling Or Paz cigar band with a white agate.  (I'm lucky I didn't lose the stone). 

Will Super Glue work?  Suggestions?

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@software well I've got a lot of rings, some from or paz, many from other vendors and I've only had 2 stones ever come out - 1 from a ring and 1 from a bracelet with inlay and I wear my jewelry a lot so I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Or Paz due to one incident.

@Shanus thanks for the info regarding glue -- I had thought about gluing mine in but instead it is in my jewelry box waiting for me to make a decision.  Maybe I should just take the two items to a jeweler and get it done.

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@software well I've got a lot of rings, some from or paz, many from other vendors and I've only had 2 stones ever come out - 1 from a ring and 1 from a bracelet with inlay and I wear my jewelry a lot so I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Or Paz due to one incident.

@Shanus thanks for the info regarding glue -- I had thought about gluing mine in but instead it is in my jewelry box waiting for me to make a decision.  Maybe I should just take the two items to a jeweler and get it done.

Having the jeweler do the repairs is your best bet. In years to come, the jewelry (especially rings) will get wet and any glue could give way. Having the stones properly reset is the way to go. While the jeweler has it, have them check the other stones to be sure any bezels or prongs are tight. Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

I purchased a ring with a large bezel set stone and wore it for a couple of days and the stone popped out in my kitchen. I took the ring to my jeweler, they have done all of my repairs over the years and have done a wonderful job.  I wore the repaired ring for a day and it popped out again, so I am thinking of glueing it back in myself,  so thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

I would take it to a jeweler for repair. But if you insist on using glue, then I recommend this one. It has a precision-tip and the glue is high quality and does not get brittle. It remains somewhat flexible with a strong hold. I have used this glue in some of my fashion-jewely pieces with crystal stones.They have yet to fall out after all this time.

il_570xN.1041595329_nott.jpg