New Contributor

Re: What do you remember the most about Joan Rivers?

She gave us so much of herself. Time, love, witt, laughter and talent. I pray for Melissa and Cooper. Thanks for all the years Joan.

Not applicable

I am stunned. So completely numb. She could be hysterically funny and her humor could be very abrasive, but you always knew there was a kind heart underneath. When women would call in to QVC who had recently lost their spouses, I will always remember how her voice and expression immediately softened. She understood. She connected. This is so shocking and senseless. I just watched her on QVC not long ago and bought her quilted jacket and Fall pinecone bee pin. I will cherish those things. Rest in peace, Joan. We will miss you so very much.

Regular Contributor

She was one of the hardest working women I've known; she took on a men's world/comedy etc., and succeeded beyond their expectations. Then she just kept on going. She also gave away lots and lots of money to many charities, without fanfare. A very short story (happened many years ago), a very good friend of mine, well her grand-daughter's school friend lost her beloved dog, and somehow Joan Rivers heard about it (I don't know how), anyway, about a month later Joan gave the little girl a new puppy with a note. I think she did a lot of kind acts for many people, without fanfare. She was a character, but I think she took care of her family and close friends. She was a very strong woman and kept on going in the face of many personal ordeals. I will remember that.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so sad hearing this news, I feel like I lost a family member. I really thought she would pull through. I too am 55 years old and remember her with Johnny Carson. Although I heard it many times, I would always sit and listen to her tell the story of the bee. I will always remember Joan as a strong woman and a hard worker. She was a true inspiration for all. I never saw her live show or met her but she made an impact on my life. My DD and I would watch her shows all the time and just laugh, she bridged the generations. I will miss her dearly. They certainly don't make them like her anymore. All I can say is thank you Joan!
Esteemed Contributor

I will always remember her Q shows with Kathy Levine!! No host/vendor presentations have been that funny since those shows! Joan was quick, sharp, sometimes zingy, but always a riot! Kathy could hardly contain herself!! Though I did not purchase much of her jewelry, I always made time for her shows! Once she started in with jackets, I did buy several and wear them often. Go in Peace, Ms Joan!!

Honored Contributor

I'm close to 70 (not there quite yet). I remember watching Johnny Carson at night. I saw the very first time she was on Johnny Carson.

I remember how devestating it was for her and Melissa (she was so young) when her husband died.

He left her terribly in debt. A lot of people don't know how bad off she was when he died. The papers just ran it into the ground (even back then people could be really cruel). Every chance they got you'd see pictures of Joan and Melissa and be like 'poor little Melissa'.

But Joan was an amazing woman. She got to work and I'm sure when she died she only worked (as she said) because she loved being on the stage. She's quoted so many times as saying that was when she came alive.

Once I saw a very long TV interview she did with someone (forget who). We got to go inside of her New York Apartment and see everything. We met all of the people in her life. Her many close friends and those that helped her run her life (her words).

We got to see the huge wall (wooden, exactly set up like the old library catalog system) of jokes (actual jokes on 3X5 cards) that were ones she said she came up with....then she kind of smiled like heh! heh!.

I'll never forget that she talked about how much she enjoyed her money and living so fabulously in New York. She said she knew what it was like to not have anything (after Edgar died) and she vowed to always enjoy it, not flaunt it just enjoy it.

Her house looked like Versaille in France (I went to Versaille). We got to ride in the cab with her when she went to work.

I'll never forget that. I remember seeing the audience (on TV) that night and her little frame standing there, making them laugh, and looking at the camera and saying something like, "and that's what it's all about".

Bye Joan! Now you and Robin can make Heaven laugh. The way things are going down here they probably could use some laughs.

Contributor

RIP Joan. Thank you for all the laughter. You will be missed.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw Joan in Las Vegas in 1976 - she was the opening act for Mac Davis and then saw her many years later in Atlantic City. She was hilarious in both shows and we laughed the entire time. I have some of her jackets and jewelry and love them all. Also remember her on Ed Sullivan and Johnny Carson. She certainly came a long way, overcame the bad times and was so full of energy and life. Very sad she is gone - can't believe it. Just recently while channel surfing, I saw her on an old episode of Love Boat and then in a movie with Burt Lancaster - The Swimmer. Had forgotten that she was an actress also. Will miss her on QVC, Fashion Police and her reality show with Melissa. May she rest in peace.

Respected Contributor

She was a true patriot and the funniest lady!
Contributor

I honestly feel like I lost a family member, I have never taken any celebrity death as bad as this. I guess from all the years on qvc, she was a part of my life, almost like she was a relative I always watched when she was on. I just feel sad, that she isn't here anymore Smiley Sad