Valued Contributor

Re: What do you do with old, inexpensive watches?

Take the back off the watch. Remove the battery. Go to the drug store and buy a replacement battery or any store that sells the little button batteries. I take the battery with me to match it to the new one I am buying. 

Put the new battery in the watch. It is simple to do. I would not do this on an expensive watch. My jeweler does my good watches for me. 

Respected Contributor

for $18.00 you can buy all the tools your jeweler has to do the job.tools.jpg

Honored Contributor

I also have a drawer full of watches that need batteries....I will donate them to good will. They can decide if they want to sell them or toss them.

Honored Contributor

@TY  At one point I had 6 old inexpensive, non-working watches and 2 of my husband's. I put the word out to get more from friends/family. Within a month I had more than 22 w/ all different shapes & sizes of faces. I removed the straps (& workings to make them lighter) & using special craft glue for metal, I glued them together in a pleasing bib design, added ribbon at the ends and had created a one of a kind statement necklace. I've done the same thing since with unusual buttons I've found at yard sales and thrift shops. 

Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate all of these wonderful suggestions about what to do with old watches. I do have some small screwdrivers for eyeglasses and while Ican change some batteries, some watches I could not pry the case back off and some I could not put the case back on.

I think that the watches that I can't easily read because the face is too small will be getting donated so someone else can enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

A few years ago, after I decided that I was done with costume jewelry and fashion watches; I had a party at my house.  I invited my friends, my sisters, my nieces and anyone they wanted to bring with them.   I laid out all the jewelry that was in good order and all fashion watches (I had a lot!) and the ladies were free to take whatever  they wanted.   I had a lot or Joan Rivers watches that I collected and I had Suzanne Somers watchers and Adrienne's watches too.  I got rid of about half of the jewelry and all the watches.  I tossed  the remaining earrings and I gave the bracelets and necklaces to a couple of girls at work who have young daugters.  Little girls stll play dress up and I heard that the long beaded necklaces were a big hit with the 10 year old set.  I really don't think any charity wants old costume jewelry and fashion watches.  What the heck would they do with them?

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  Some of the older Joan Rivers watches are really nice quality.   I've held onto them for this reason.   I have a ton of expensive watches that need batteries. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I quit buying anything but good watches a long time ago.  It was a good investment for me.  I have one I wear all the time and 2 dress watches.  

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

for $18.00 you can buy all the tools your jeweler has to do the job.tools.jpg

Good idea !!

Honored Contributor

toss them