Honored Contributor

Is a mechanical automatic movement mean it has to be wound or does it run on battery?

Honored Contributor

@rms1954.  Often referred to as self-winding, an automatic watch is a mechanical watch that harnesses kinetic energy from the natural motion of the wearer's wrist. The mainspring is automatically wound from the natural movements of the wearer's wrist. Manual winding is not required

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Is a mechanical automatic movement mean it has to be wound or does it run on battery?

Neither, it runs on the movement of your wrist. It winds itself by you moving your arms. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@rms1954.  Often referred to as self-winding, an automatic watch is a mechanical watch that harnesses kinetic energy from the natural motion of the wearer's wrist. The mainspring is automatically wound from the natural movements of the wearer's wrist. Manual winding is not required

So when you're not wearing it how does it get wound

Honored Contributor

Either it doesn't get wound and stops or you buy a winder which keeps it constantly moving so it keeps running.  If you wear it everyday, you'll have no problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watch Question

[ Edited ]

In 1964 my mother and I were on a tour in Europe and the tour guide dropped us off at a watch store in Switzerland. We both bought watches with 18KT gold bands --- and I also bought a beautiful pendant watch --- where u wind them. They're all still ticking. I have many Eclissi watches that I bought from the Q years ago. I don't wear watches often now since I'm retired - and the batteries are always DEAD.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

So when you're not wearing it how does it get wound

If it stops u wind it a bit to get going then wear it 

Honored Contributor

@kivah Right now, I have 5 watches I probably have not worn for at least 5 years.  I can’t think of any reason to spend time or money for new batteries only to have them sit for another couple of years.

I can’t remember seeing a watch in any thrift shop for years  so they will go into this week’s trash.  I still have 2 watches which need batteries, but unlike the colorful ones I plan to discard, those 2 are silver with gold accents and I do sometimes wear them.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

In 1964 my mother and I were on a tour in Europe and the tour guide dropped us off at a watch store in Switzerland. We both bought watches with 18KT gold bands --- and I also bought a beautiful pendant watch --- where u wind them. They're all still ticking. I have many Eclissi watches that I bought from the Q years ago. I don't wear watches often now since I'm retired - and the batteries are always DEAD.

@kivah  If you don't wear them, but want to keep them, just pull the stem away from the side of the watch. This saves the battery. When you decide to wear one, just set it to the correct time and push them stem back snug against the side of the watch.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 @Kachina624 I have my auto watch on an electric winder on my dresser since I don't wear it every day. I purchased it from a jewelry wholesale catalogue.