Respected Contributor

Vintage Claddagh Holy Bible pendant

Does anyone remember the 14k Claddagh Holy Bible pendant, with hinged and turn-able pages inscribed with the Lord's Prayer?  I don't recall how many years ago it was available (but it was quite a while), but would like to know at least an approximate selling price at that time.  I ask because I saw one sold today for over $600.  

14k Yellow Gold Lord's Prayer Bible Pendant, Adult Unisex, Size: 18

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Vintage Claddagh Holy Bible pendant

@IamMrsG I have one and wear it pretty often on a 30" gold chain.  I love it!  

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG ....I remember that pendant.  I even remember Mary Beth Roe presenting it when I saw it.  What a beautiful one too.  I don't remember exactly how much it went for but my guess is probably under $150 back then. 

I am not surprised at the prices of gold today and so glad I got alot back then.  BUT....about a year ago, I was perusing the "as is" section of gold jewelry here at the Q and purchased a 15.5 gms. rolo bracelet in 14 kt. gold for around $550...I considered that a great deal and when it arrived, it looked brand new.  I haven't purchased any since and really didn't need it, but I couldn't resist the price.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner    She wanted to know what its appropriate original cost was.  Do you remember? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@kittykatkay   I was gifted the piece, so don't know, but your guesstimate of the $150 neighborhood 'feels' about right.  

Wow, at over $600, that's quite an increase!  I realize the price of gold has skyrocketed over the years.  Also, the site I watched this morning presents themselves to be dealers of higher echelon jewelry, which, of course, means higher prices.  Nonetheless, 400% is a whopper of an increase.

I brought my piece back out of the 'rarely used' drawer.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner    She wanted to know what its appropriate original cost was.  Do you remember? 

@Kachina624 I have not a clue.  I can't remember last week. . . oh yeah, it rained all the time!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

I remember that pendant and Mary Beth presenting it.  I wanted it very much (wish I had bought it) and it wasn't over $199 at the time.  It cost more back then than other pendants because of how labor intensive it was, and how much gold was involved.....   I decided against it because it was twice the price of what I could spend at the time.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I remember it. I don't understand why it's called claddagh, is it from Ireland?

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21   Claddagh is/was the manufacturer, and, yes, they are generally all-things Irish based.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21   Claddagh is/was the manufacturer, and, yes, they are generally all-things Irish based.  

Thank you, very interesting 🍀

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"