Valued Contributor

Re: The great bracelet closure project

I agree. I also think lobster clasps made a piece look cheap. All good jewelry has nicer looking clasps. I think Diamonique does a good job with clasps and a few others I have whose names allude me right now. But there are better options out there 

Super Contributor

Re: The great bracelet closure project

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

@depglass    I don't know what would work and be as secure as the lobster claw clasp. I have a couple of magnetic clasps that I ordered from Amazon for necklaces. You can them them in different strengths. Some are recommended for bracelets because the magnet is stronger.  I probably wouldn't use one on an antique or very expensive bracelet. Now if they would just quit using those fish hook clasps on pearl necklaces I would be happy. I cannot get these closed to save my life.

Carrie Ann - I started with the add-an-inch pearls for my daughter.  When she turned 18, I had it professionally stringed and made into the permanent necklace.  They had that fish hook clasp on there and I made them change it to a lobster claw.  The jeweler was horrified that I didn't want to go with "traditon" but I didn't want my daughter to lose it.  They weren't happy, but they switched it.  We are the end user - if we want a lobster claw, we should get it.  If you have a string that you don't wear because of that clasp, get it fixed so that you can wear it.  It doesn't serve any purpose sitting in the jewelry box.