Respected Contributor

The band on my diamond engagement ring cracked/split if you can understand that. The band is very thin and I don't think it could be soldered (sp?). Have any of you had your rings reset and if so, would you share the approx. cost. I do have other rings and 14K jewelry items that could be sold since I don't wear them anymore. Also, some of the stones in them could possibly added to the new setting.

Regular Contributor

Re: Resetting a Diamond Ring

It really depends on the setting you choose. I recommend visiting your local jewelry and getting an estimate. An estimate is always free!

Honored Contributor

I had my diamond from my engagement ring reset back in the eighties and it cost 300 dollars, but the gold was 14k and it was a cast setting with a bezel set diamond. Gold was fairly cheap back then, but the guy that reset it was an artist. ???

Honored Contributor

I have never had a ring reset but I am interested in any replies you get. I have my Mom's wedding ring that was cut off of my Mom's finger at the hospital. It broke into 5 pieces. And it should be reset.

If you want to have other stones added to your ring, you might need to have the ring custom made. And also keep in mind the color of the stones that you are adding to the new ring. That the color of the stones match - if you want them to match. A friend of mine had a new ring made from 2 rings. They were both rubies. And unfortunately the rubies were not the same shade. It looked a bit odd.

But today they can show you what a ring will look like on a computer before it is made. But I am sure it just adds to the price.

Honored Contributor

If the band split on the bottom they can rebuild the shank. With the price of gold don't know what the charge would be. If you have other jewelry you want to add some other stones to it find a reputable jewelry repair shop & get some estimates.

Trusted Contributor

If you choose to have your diamond reset, either choose a jeweler you trust completely or have the diamond reset in front of you. There are too many sad stories where the diamond was switched for a fake.

Contributor

I had that very same thing happen to my engagement ring a long time ago. At that time it was repaired by a local jeweler and had been fine. Years later I had it reset and have been very happy with the new setting. A few years ago I noticed the my wedding ring was damaged - had taken it off on vacation and placed it on a table and noticed it was no longer round but more oval shaped. That time I went to Jared and had them replace the entire shank of the ring. It was about $200 to repair. I like getting repairs done at Jared since they do all the work right there and don't send pieces out.
Contributor

I had my diamond reset last year. I could have chosen a ready-made setting or a custom setting. I chose custom because there was no ready-made that would accommodate my stones. I used a small local jeweler because the large chains would not do a custom setting. Cost was $1300 for 14k white gold.

Respected Contributor

I just had my 1k pear shaped diamond set in a halo setting using most of my diamonds and it was 1200. It just depends on the ""heaviness"" of the setting and if there are stones already in it.

Super Contributor

I had a very old ring that belonged to my grandmother and the shank was worn and broken. I simply had a new shank put on the existing setting because I really loved it. Good as new. Looks like new. Much cheaper than a whole setting. Just make sure you use a reputable jeweler. I would suggest finding a manufacturing jeweler who does repair work. Not a mall jeweler, or big box jeweler. Should be under $100, depending on the material.