Honored Contributor

Can anyone tell me about this? They said it's a natural stone, not enhanced at all, but I want to be sure. I've seen a lot of oyster shells in their natural state, but never ones with a red tint. Where is it found? TIA!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Red Oyster Shell

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom    Are you referring to spiney oyster which is a rusty red?

Like this.

Screenshot_20210707-101846_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Like this.

@Kachina624 wrote:

Like this.

@Kachina624    I happened to catch a segment of JTV this morning, and the host said, "We sell all over the United States, AND the Southwest Region."    Does that make us foreigners?????   d

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi    The hosts on JTV don't seem to be intellectual giants.  She probably would say they don't ship to foreign countries like New Mexico. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Although it comes in different shades of oranges and reds, jewelry made with it can have dyed and enhanced (for durability) shell. Unless the piece of jewelry is described as all-natural and untreated then assume that it has been dyed or enhanced.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi    The hosts on JTV don't seem to be intellectual giants.  She probably would say they don't ship to foreign countries like New Mexico. 

Smiley Very Happy  LOL!

Trusted Contributor

I have a gold pendant with an inlay of small diamonds and natural - - not-dyed -- spiny oyster. It is beautiful. I bought it and an identical one in white gold and mother of pearl from QVC years ao. They were pricey even then. One reason for the price was the natural high quality inlay stones. There are no striations in the oyster, it's a solid color.

I don't remember the brand but it was said to be sold on cruise ships. I get compliments every time I wear one but mostly on the spiny oyster. Most often people want to know what the "stone" is.

The spiny oyster I've seen lately is close to a yellow where the inlay in the pendant is a dark red-dark orange, close to carnelian.

Contributor

Was it Asch-Grossbardt?  I have some of their pieces from way back when.  Lovely jewelry.

Honored Contributor

I have a few spiney oyster pieces. But,not red at all. They were sold to me (all of them) by Dave King.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

I found this red oyster shell ring on the internet.  It didn't mention spiny oyster.

red oyster shell3.jpg