Trusted Contributor

Re: RIPKA PRICES!?!?!

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal  I had the same awful experience in that particular store location!   I was made so uncomfortable by the salesfolk I left before I even looked at the merchandise.  What a turn-off.  That Atlantic City store is no longer there even though other luxury stores in that area managed to maintain a business.   On the contrary I was shopping in an expensive David Yurman boutique elsewhere and was treated really well - even though I didn't buy anything.  I tried on a beautiful cable bracelet & was not made to feel "like I wasn't worthy of it".  lol    

Respected Contributor

Of course you are paying extra for the designer name, same as anything else.  I prefer diamonique to crappy looking topaz or low quality diamonds which is what you'd get for the same price.  CZ sparkles better and compliments the colored stones.  I have a few pieces from other designers using white topaz and they look quite drab by comparison to CZ.  When done right it looks like high quality diamonds.  When done wrong it looks very fake.

Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx   I agree that some high quality cubic zirconia or Swarovski crystals look better than low quality diamonds as accents.  I have a beautiful tahitian pearl pendant that has 1 small Swarovski crystal as an accent.  it looks like a perfect - but very small - brilliant diamond.  The tahitian pearl pendant was already expensive & if it was a diamond instead of Swarovski the price would have been unreasonable.  

Respected Contributor

I am a jewelry fan who nevers buys just for a name.  I like high quality, well made gold jewelry.

I do not buy or wear cubic zirconia.

I never purchased Judith Ripka until she brought her gold line onto the program.

I am very impressed with her designs and the intricacy of her work.

Yes, some of the pieces can be pricey, but I always wait for the sales.  

I am very happy with my Ripka purchases!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Of course you are paying extra for the designer name, same as anything else.  I prefer diamonique to crappy looking topaz or low quality diamonds which is what you'd get for the same price.  CZ sparkles better and compliments the colored stones.  I have a few pieces from other designers using white topaz and they look quite drab by comparison to CZ.  When done right it looks like high quality diamonds.  When done wrong it looks very fake.

@Grouchomarx9 times out of 10 white topaz looks horrible to me.  I too would rather have CZ but I really wish they'd use white zircon.

The other day I ordered the Colleen Lopez TS watch and noticed they used white topaz around the face.  I'm hoping it has some sparkle. 

Honored Contributor

Judith Ripoff

Honored Contributor

I agree Ripka prices are ridiculously high. Many of her pieces are gorgeous but I refuse to spend that much money on sterling silver and fake stones.  

New Contributor

I also think that we pay for Judith Ripka's name in her jewelry. I think that gold clad is a bit pricey.

Her jewelry is good but QVC seems to promote a lot of it. Even if we do like her style, I do not want that much.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that having so much cz on everything AND high prices became a turn off for me. I have a few Ripka pieces that I bought before the big price hikes. One is a silver cuff with citrine and emeralds (small stones but pretty) and NO cz. It's one of my favorite pieces. I was never a big Ripkanista, but if there was something that interested me and the price wasn't crazy I'd at least consider it.

With the prices the way they have been lately on this line, I don't even consider it. I just breeze on past. Not where I am going to spend my $.

Trusted Contributor

I've never bought any of her pieces.  I seem to remember about 8 or 9 years ago, her pieces were too ornate and "busy' for my lifestyle and it seems she did a lot her work in silver.

Now, with the plating and fake stones, definitely not for me.  Some of her gold a natural gemstone pieces re pretty nice, but out of my league price-wise.