Respected Contributor

Years ago before all this virus stuff, I walked into several jewelry stores that offered preowned jewelry pieces, called the case "estate jewelry".

I've never been interested in purchasing anything from that case probably silly but I'm not aware of the life these people had?

Honored Contributor

Re: Pre Owned Rings/Necklaces

Unless you are a highly superstitious person, you can buy a used piece with no worries.  Get in the habit of carrying a 10X loupe to examine pieces for tiny missing stones, cracks, etc.  Ebay is a goldmine of "previously owned" jewelry.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling 

Oh, I'm the opposite, I LOVE estate jewelry, especially art deco!

When DH & I got engaged (26 years ago), I chose a vintage engagement ring and wedding band (that attached to the engagement ring) from an estate sale through my jeweler friend and I'm still IN LOVE with it!

It has a 1 ct. pear shaped diamond in the center and then has marquis, and trillion shaped diamonds down each side on the band.

ETA: I have no concern about the 'past life' of estate jewelry, I'm not superstitious.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I've bought a ton of previously owned turquoise jewelry from eBay and other places.  It seem to have more character than brand new pieces and often the stones are better quality than the newly mined stones. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We have a big indoor/outdoor flea market here. There are usually many vendors there selling estate jewelry. You just have to know what to look for. I like going to where they sell loose gems and mineral specimens. One time I found a rough piece of rhodochrosite from the now closed Colorado Sweet Home Mine. It's so nice.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I forgot about the flea market!  Ours up north in Henderson has mostly new items now, very few collectible things.

Do you normally go early on the weekend, and do you have a preference as to which day?  I remember Sundays having more estate dealers in the past.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rockygems123 wrote:

@SilleeMee 

I forgot about the flea market!  Ours up north in Henderson has mostly new items now, very few collectible things.

Do you normally go early on the weekend, and do you have a preference as to which day?  I remember Sundays having more estate dealers in the past.

@rockygems123 

I haven't been back to our flea market since before the pandemic. But I like to go early on the weekend days, usually as soon as they open. Right now they are only open Fri thru Sun.  It's so much fun! I always find something to buy. 

Respected Contributor

There are some great antique shows I have attended that also feature cases and cases of estate antique jewelry.

I love looking at the history of jewelry based on the way the styles have changed--Georgian, Victorian, Art Deco, and so forth.

The prices can be high, but most pieces have greater gold weight, more diamond carat weight, and a lot more detail and elaborate work than the modern pieces for sale in stores.

I actually like knowing that a jewelry piece was somebody else's precious treasure, and I hope I can keep my items in good shape and pass them down so somebody will also want to wear them hundreds of years from now.

Honored Contributor

In the past I bought a few things from large flea markets.  The only thing I was concerned with was the authenticity of the items.  As far as thinking about bad past history of a person who owned an item --- no, I never thought of that.  I think it is great that these things get a new home and get worn again and enjoyed again.  I know that a lot of items that I have are special to me.  When I pass on, it gives me great pleasure to think that someone would actually claim some of my "treasures" and wear them and get joy from them!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

One of my favorite jewelry stores has a very nice estate section. I've gotten a number of lovely pieces at very reasonable prices. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~