Honored Contributor

Why would PTR use plastic beads for his earrings and stretch bead bracelets? Even though combined with sterling silver, it cheapens the piece of jewelry to a costume jewelry level.

Charge a little more and use smaller, real stones. You can purchase these beads at any craft store, some elastic and base metal spacer beads...make a braclet for under $10. I've made napkin rings that way. Sterling Silver & fake stones. Uh. No.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  ITA.  You'd expect a higher quality from him than that.  Personally, I never buy costume jewelry, and certainly not plastic.  As you say, you can buy that stuff anywhere for a few bucks.  Give me my real gemstones!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Shanus  ITA.  You'd expect a higher quality from him than that.  Personally, I never buy costume jewelry, and certainly not plastic.  As you say, you can buy that stuff anywhere for a few bucks.  Give me my real gemstones!

@2blonde  I know a little about a lot of things, but over 20 years of designing and making jewelry....I'm shocked by his choices!!! 

Honored Contributor

@ShanusCan you give us some idea of what the cost difference might be?  I know there are all kinds of levels of gemstone quality and prices also vary from stone to stone, but what are we talking about?

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@ShanusCan you give us some idea of what the cost difference might be?  I know there are all kinds of levels of gemstone quality and prices also vary from stone to stone, but what are we talking about?

On the drop earrings, based on the fact that I purchase wholesale 16" strands of temporary strung beads, both onyx beads would not be more than $50. 

Respected Contributor

I don't have any PTR jewelry, but are you talking about J330960 & J331796?

They aren't plastic beads. He says that they are shell. Stone beads wouldn't be that much more, cost wise, but it would add weight to the earring, so maybe that's why they went with shell.

Sterling silver components in jewelry are expensive, too.

I like the look of his jewelry, but haven't loved anything enough to buy it, yet. I don't think it is really over priced, for what it is.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

They aren't plastic beads. He says that they are shell. Stone beads wouldn't be that much more, cost wise, but it would add weight to the earring, so maybe that's why they went with shell.

I like the look of his jewelry, but haven't loved anything enough to buy it, yet. I don't think it is really over priced, for what it is.

Using a real peal instead of what he calls "shell" weighs nothing. Look at all the silver Honora pearl drop earrings. Whatever he wants to call it...not gemstones and sterling silver or not, it lowers the value of the piece. 

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

I make drop earrings with as large as 12 mm beads (gem stones) all the time. They aren't heavy or uncomfortable. Look at all the other designers today...Drop earrings by Barbara Bixby: silver, 18k gold, enamel work and gemstones. Heavy? No. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't see (or would want) his plastic beads, but I like his rings.  I just think they are overpriced.

Respected Contributor

Normal price for faux pearl and simulated gems is over a hundred dollars?  Are they kidding us?

http://www.qvc.com/Peter-Thomas-Roth-Sterling-%26-Bead-Stretch-Bracelet.product.J331796.html