Honored Contributor

Re: PACKING UP OUT OF DATE PIECES

I don't look at jewelry like that.  I don't think jewelry goes out of style in the same way that shoes or clothing go out of style.  

Respected Contributor

I get rid of jewelry mistakes.  Fashion pieces I never should have purchased or at least should have returned.  I take them to a local consignment store and do very nicely. 

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I get rid of jewelry mistakes.  Fashion pieces I never should have purchased or at least should have returned.  I take them to a local consignment store and do very nicely. 

@KentuckyWoman   I spend very little on fashion jewelry...maybe $20 on a necklace (wait for sales). Good for you to get some return on money spent. I wouldn’t do well.

Respected Contributor

I donate a lot of things,  but I do not donate jewelry.  Call be selfish but any unworn or unloved jewelry I sell to US GOLDBUYERS and reap the benefits.

Valued Contributor

I wear it if I love it. I don't care if its supposedly out of style. I still love a gold or silver omega chain with an enhance on it. I have so much jewelry. I too keep a lot of it on hooks in my closet. When I put on my outfit, I choose a piece. For day to day, I wear a Judith Ripka bracelets, rings and a neck chain. Earrings too. The more understated pieces for every day. I'm never without my jewelry. If I go out to lunch or dinner I'll wear something more showy. I am selling some pieces off though because I have so so much. I sell it on ebay and make a tidy income stream.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't look at jewelry like that.  I don't think jewelry goes out of style in the same way that shoes or clothing go out of style.  

@chrystaltree   I’m referring to costume jewelry. I don’t see anyone wearing huge earrings or statement necklaces. That’s what I packed up. It seems what’s in stores now are fake fine chains with a pendant to be worn alone or in multiples. My good jewelry has no age...I wear what pieces I like whether anyone else does or not.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

I donate a lot of things,  but I do not donate jewelry.  Call be selfish but any unworn or unloved jewelry I sell to US GOLDBUYERS and reap the benefits.

@lulu1 Oh, I’d never donate my real pieces of jewelry either. I sell the metals and stones...I donate costume jewelry only. 

Valued Contributor

I am fortunate to have a designer consignment shop near me. Owner told me they have customer lists they call when new jewelry comes in. Brought in my no longer wearing JRipka; BBixby; CPollack. (Since retirement my lifestyle has changed). All sold & it paid for a nice trip to Door County.  

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know jewelry went "out-of-date." 

Honored Contributor

IMO jewelry unless it's a wedding band can look dated. I inherited so much gold jewelry from my MIL that was so dated looking, I sent it into cash for gold. Good costume jewelry made in the USA is harder to come by these days so I kept that and jade pieces.