Contributor

You think gold jewelry is a good investment.well its not.I have a 18kt.white gold diamond ring.1/2 ct. total weight .a 14kt. white gold wedding band.the jewler said was .40 ct.I over heard him tell the guy that was waiting on me.These are good.I have had this set for 20 years.i have worn it once.I'am not a diamond girl.i decided to take it to a gold and silver buyer and see what I could get for it.boy was I shocked.i thanked them and walked away.

Super Contributor

Jewelry is like buying a car. Once you drive it off the lot, it depreciates.

You should wear the ring. Do you not like it?

Super Contributor
You were probably quoted the price for the gold only. You will always get more for the gold than for the diamonds, especially if they are many tiny stones.
Super Contributor

Not only does it depreciate, it was never worth what you paid for it. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

Try a couple more dealers. I have pretty much recouped my investment in any gold pieces I have sold that are that old, sometimes way more. But I was selling pieces without stones. I would recommend US Goldbuyers, but it may not be worth your trouble for two pieces. You might also look for a dealer that deals in estate pieces for resale. Estate just means "used," not that someone has died.

Super Contributor

If you go to gold buyers you will not get anywhere near the private sale price. I would relay more on the evaluation report you can get if you decide to insure them. I just recently saw my friend trying to sell her 0.75 ct single diamond 14K YG ring to gold buyers and they offer her around $350. She become upset, because they paid around 3K when they bought it. I dragged her out of the place and tell her to sell it privately or make a gift to a daughter with diamond. She got 1K quote from another place, so she was quite astonished at the quote she got in the mall store.

I am not sure if you want to keep it or sell it, but may be GIA certificate may help. You will need to pay money, but you will be sure what you have in your hands. You can still use the diamond for other projects.

Honored Contributor

I got a caret wedding band set I bought back in the 70's when I married. I was offered 200 !

I died laughing in his face......insured for 2,500 I wasn't selling anyway, just wanted to see if he was crooked, got my answer and hit the door. They would have gave me 200 and marked them up to at least 1,000. People are crooks.

I buy now just for the beauty of something like a gold bracelet and the pleasure it gives me to own something of gold. You probably won't ever get back what You paid for it, but, what can U buy that you do?

Super Contributor

Besides inexpensive costume pieces here and there, I've never bought myself good jewelry. Only good jewelry I have is a pair of 14k white gold and diamond earrings that my husband and kids bought me for Christmas probably 10 years ago. Not something I would ever spend money on.

Super Contributor

Jewelry is fun, not an investment.

I like sterling and colorful semi-precious stones. They're an affordable treat for me. They don't have resale value, but I enjoy wearing my sparklies!

I have some diamond and gold pieces I inherited from an aunt. I'm not sentimental about any of them. I don't care for yellow gold, and I'm not a diamond girl. But I won't accept the ridiculously lowball offers I've gotten on them, either. So they sit in my bank box. I guess my niece will have to figure it out when she inherits them. LOL. Who knows, she might be a diamond girl and can reset them into something she loves.

Honored Contributor

Jewelry is not, never was and never will a good investment.