Honored Contributor

Need suggestions... how does one get a jewelry appraisal?

We have a need to obtain a jewelry appraisal... I have read (most likely on this helpful forum) that there are different ways to obtain this, especially for insurance purposes.

Does anyone know the best way? TIA!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

Re: Need suggestions... how does one get a jewelry appraisal?

Some jewelry stores will do appraisals.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, paShar... that is a good suggestion. Should a person STAY at the location while the appraisal is being done, do you know?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

I've had several pieces appraised and it generally takes a few days before you receive the appraisal. If its for insurance purposes the jeweler will need to give you a certificate of appraisal. That may take a bit longer.

Super Contributor

On 5/30/2014 lovestoteach said:

Thanks, paShar... that is a good suggestion. Should a person STAY at the location while the appraisal is being done, do you know?

I certainly wouldn't get an appraisal done unless it is by a fine jeweler, and a reputable one that preferably you have done business with or get recommendations. Most jewelers that are reputable don't do "walk-in" appraisals, you schedule an appointment, and they should tell you what they will charge for that appraisal based on the piece and the time involved to appraise it. If you have something that you know is very valuable, like say a near perfect diamond or some rare gem stone, I certainly would stay during that time. A good jeweler won't be offended. There have been cases where jewelers "swap" out stones because your piece is great value, and substitute a lower quality stone or heaven forbid a cz. You can't be too careful these days. If you are wanting a formal appraisal for perhaps insurance purposes, you should get a thorough appraisal that breaks down the size, weight, color and quality of all the stones in the piece, and normally the jeweler will take a picture of the piece and include that in the appraisal. If it is a gold piece with no stones, then it should at least describe the piece, give the quality of gold, and the weight and dimensions. HTH, best of luck.

*edited by me for typos*

Respected Contributor

Don't leave your jewelry off at some appraisers. Stay there and get it appraised with you looking on. As U know, expensive jewels, etc. R tempting to many of the unscrupulous. It only takes a few minutes to appraise jewelry.

Trusted Contributor

I suggest a reputable jewelry store that you know of and can trust. If you have to leave the item with them, make sure to take a photo of it and get a receipt that they are holding it for appraisal. I tend to get nervous about leaving diamonds with anyone but other pieces should be okay.

Respected Contributor

On 5/30/2014 gigy said:

I suggest a reputable jewelry store that you know of and can trust. If you have to leave the item with them, make sure to take a photo of it and get a receipt that they are holding it for appraisal. I tend to get nervous about leaving diamonds with anyone but other pieces should be okay.

Yes, good advice, however a photo is not going to protect U. Stay there while the jewelry is being appraised. Trust me on this.

Alternatively, U can Google appraisers, contact them and send pictures of the pieces you want for insurance purposes.

Super Contributor

On 5/30/2014 Skylands said:
On 5/30/2014 gigy said:

Yes, good advice, however a photo is not going to protect U. Stay there while the jewelry is being appraised. Trust me on this.

Alternatively, U can Google appraisers, contact them and send pictures of the pieces you want for insurance purposes.

Wanting to stand and wait isn't always an option. If the jeweler is busy, they'll probably just hand back your item and show you the door.

I can't imagine anyone appraising anything from a photograph. You can't grade diamonds from a photo.

Super Contributor

On 5/30/2014 catmama said:

I've had several pieces appraised and it generally takes a few days before you receive the appraisal. If its for insurance purposes the jeweler will need to give you a certificate of appraisal. That may take a bit longer.

Me, too.