Valued Contributor

I am looking at two pairs of Judith Ripka earrings.  I love the designs, but I know nothing about the stones.  Any advice would be appreciated.  One pair is Morganite (J375597) and the other pair is Kunizite (J355346) .  Any advice on which stone is better?  They both seem light in color, but the picture of the Morganite seems to be more in the gold family.

Honored Contributor

Re: Morganite versus Kunzite?

Morganite is a peachy pink color; Kunzite is lavender.  I've heard the Kunzite fades in color when worn in sunlight.  You can Google the two stones and read about their characteristics.  Morganite, unless you get a very expensive stone, can be very pale.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Morganite is peachy-pink.

Kunzite is purple-pink.

One is not 'better' than the other, however Morganite can sometimes be a little cloudy while Kunzite is mostly clear. Morganite is usually found in smaller sizes than Kunzite and Morganite tends to cost more per carat than Kunzite. 

A good affordable alternative for Kunzite is Rose de France amethyst. 

Both Morganite and Kunzite are relatively soft stones compared to sapphires or diamonds. Champagne sapphire is a good alternative stone for Morganite and is more durable than Morganite.

Honored Contributor

@daisy4.   The photo of J375597, the Morganite, is off and isn't a true representation of the color.  It's not gold.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@daisy4.   The photo of J375597, the Morganite, is off and isn't a true representation of the color.  It's not gold.

I agree. That is a terrible picture of Morganite. That pic looks like yellow sapphire or citrine to me.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your answers.  Since both earrings are expensive I guess I'll just wait and think about it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think Morganite looks best in rose gold settings. That color of gold deepens the pink tone of Morganite, making it look richer in color. 

228ctw-pink-morganite-and-gem-14k-earrings-d-20180813151706593_1187992.jpg

Super Contributor

I just looked at both pairs. There's a big difference in price and that's because Moganite costs more than Kunzite.

The Morganite earrings only have 2 reviews and they're not the best. You would think at that price Judith would have chose better stones. They should be a nice saturated peachy pink color and not be washed out.

If it were me I would go for the Kunzite earrings because of the color and design. I do love the design of the other pair but it looks like the stones aren't a good color.

Have you checked out some jewelry stores where you live? I don't mean the mall stores. They're so over priced for what you get. A family owned jewelry store usually caries higher quality jewelry. One of the chain stores I've had good luck with is Shane company. You can look them up online if you don't have one near you.

I think if you're going to spend this kind of money you deserve to get good quality earrings with beautiful stones that you're going to enjoy wearing and you will love the rest of your life.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the kunzite color.  Morganite is peachy orangy pink.  If I'm going pink,I want pink. I always thought kunzite was more rare.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

You might want to check other channels. You will see more varieties of each. Good luck.😁