Respected Contributor

Michele Lau Offers Great Gem Expertise

[ Edited ]

Congrats to Michele Lau for going back to school at the GIA and persevering to receive her national jewelry and diamond credentials.

As a jewelry lover and buyer, I have followed Michele's career for decades as she moved across different shopping channels.

I really respect that she now combines the ability to be a skilled host/salesperson with a true academic depth of knowledge. 

I want to also recognize and applaud Nancy Hornback for her jewelry academic efforts.

As women jewelry experts at QVC,  they are true role models.

I prefer to  "start with the facts" when I buy jewelry.

(Still waiting for QVC to list diamonds as full-cut or single-cut on their descriptions, although we now see color and clarity)

Respected Contributor

Re: Michele Lau Offers Great Gem Expertise

Totally agree. I want to hear more facts, wish the hosts would give the experts more time.

Valued Contributor

I echo my appreciation for Michelle...I love listening to jewelry shows when she is on board.  Michelle really knows her stuff and loves gemstones!

Honored Contributor

@chvall99 wrote:

I echo my appreciation for Michelle...I love listening to jewelry shows when she is on board.  Michelle really knows her stuff and loves gemstones!

I totally agree.  I watched her for the first time last night.  She was with a new host that looked liked kristen,  they were a pleasure to watch.  Michelle was so pleasant and I really enjoyed watching her and the host.  This morning I turned it on and Jennifer was on so I changed channels.  I think Michelle said she would be on with Marry beth this morning so I will watch their show.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always thought Michele Lau was pleasant and really knew her stuff ..............very interesting.....enjoyed her when she was on JTV(?) channel.............so knowledgeable.

Honored Contributor

Michelle has been a real treat today!  I not only appreciate her spot on expertise (and approachable way in expressing everything), but I love her sense of humor.  Paired with Antonella today the show is fantastic!

Honored Contributor

I like her pleasant personality but if only she was truly able to share her expertise. I have my GIA and worked for Tiffany's. A great deal of what QVC has in their gem inventory I would be unable to sell without divulging quality issues. Ms Lau skirts that issue and I presume she would not be their gem expert if she truly shared what she is selling...

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11  Agree 100%. I've taken colored gem classes, but do not have my GIA. However, those classes enabled us to make wise purchases through two well-respected jewelers in Omaha and in Lincoln over the years. Asking questions and knowing the GIA experts in both jewelry stores was priceless in our quest for knowledge and acquiring the pieces desired. It's a fascinating field.

With a GIA, I wouldn't settle for selling second quality gems on a TV channel. No amount of money (salary and benefits) could persuede me to promote it and pretend it is more than it is. Morally, I couldn't do it. The real thrill is in explaining to a customer the character of each stone . . . the flaws, feathers, imperfections vs. a high-quality stone which has color, brillance, cut, clarity, caret!

Thanks for your input. I enjoy your comments about Tiffany's. We have purchased a few items from them over the years and I've always been pleased with their consistent quality and service. Those little blue boxes were always a welcome surprise!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Michele was a wonderful host and asset to HSN, too bad they let her go after so many years with them. She has a heart of gold!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Congrats to Michele Lau for going back to school at the GIA and persevering to receive her national jewelry and diamond credentials.

As a jewelry lover and buyer, I have followed Michele's career for decades as she moved across different shopping channels.

I really respect that she now combines the ability to be a skilled host/salesperson with a true academic depth of knowledge. 

I want to also recognize and applaud Nancy Hornback for her jewelry academic efforts.

As women jewelry experts at QVC,  they are true role models.

I prefer to  "start with the facts" when I buy jewelry.

(Still waiting for QVC to list diamonds as full-cut or single-cut on their descriptions, although we now see color and clarity)

@FancyPhillyshopper

ITA with you.

Have followed Michele for a long time.  Her demeanor and knowledge are wonderful.  Also enjoy Nancy.

I have a GIA, just because I wanted to.   I enjoy learning new things.

As for the comment elsewhere about someone with a GIA selling on a TV Gem show, well, some of us have developed a habit of eating, perhaps hard to understand, but there It is.

I am waiting for Q to start giving the stone dimentions in mm. especially cabochons.  Hope we get our wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras