Respected Contributor

Re: Kim Kardashian has purchased a piece of History!

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Eeek, it's gigantic and covers her body!  Not my taste...

"The piece is about 5.4 inches by 3.7 inches in size, and has a total diamond weight of approximately 5.25 carats. It was bought from Garrard in the 1980s by the late businessman Naim Attallah, who loaned the item to his friend, Princess Diana, several times to wear to events, according to Sotheby's"

Respected Contributor

Good for her!  Better then being in some museum somewhere or purchased to only be seen by a few. 

At least with Kim buying it, whenever she wears it, we'll be able to see it since she gets photographed wherever she goes.

I'm all for ladies buying themselves pretty jewelry.  You go girl!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

The RF must be proud that one of Diana's pieces is now in the possession of a Kardashian.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

LOL

Trusted Contributor

Very Baroque. Love it (but not on a strand of pearls, lol).

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

She can fit into this jewelry easier than that Marilyn Monroe dress she wore

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

She can fit into this jewelry easier than that Marilyn Monroe dress she wore

@skatting44 - That was a travesty IMO! She never should have been allowed to wear the dress. It just shows you how some will trip over their feet when it comes to the rich and famous.   Smiley Mad

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I'd rather in in-line for the Queen's stash.

Maybe you can marry George.  From what I read when the Queen died, the heir to the throne gets all the royal jewels.  Now they belong to Charles, and when he passes, they will go to Wiliam.  I think George is Williams first born and next in line to the throne.  The Monarch typically loans out jewelry pieces to various family members rather than gifting them outright. The reason for this is that under British law, the monarch doesn’t have to pay an inheritance tax on these items. Any other royal family member or person would have to pay the tax.

Respected Contributor

When I was in London last month, I saw the crown jewels up close at the Tower of London.  Behind bullet proof glass, and with armed guards around of course.  Except for the crown Charles will be using later this year since it was out being "worked on" in preparation.  You really can't imagine how those look from pictures. 

The size of some of those stones is unbelievable.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@nova wrote:
It's a magnificent piece isn't it? Why wouldn't this have been left to her sons? I don't understand how Sotheby ended up with this. I wonder if either son - now grown men- knew this was going up for auction.
Because she didn't own it. It was owned by a millionaire friend and loaned to Diana. She wore it on several notable occasions and was the only person whoever wore it. It wwas put up for auction by his estate.