Esteemed Contributor

Kim Kardashian has purchased a piece of History!

Kim Kardashian's jewelry collection just got a lot more regal.

On Wednesday the SKIMS mogul, 42, purchased the diamond-encrusted amethyst Attallah cross pendant, famously worn by Princess Diana, at Sotheby's annual Royal & Noble auction.

The Kardashians star bid for the piece — which features square-cut amethysts accented by circular-cut diamonds weighing in at 5.25 carats — and eventually snagged it for $197,453 within the last five minutes. Sotheby's notes this was "double its pre-auction estimate."

"This is a bold piece of jewelry by its size, color and style which cannot fail to make a vibrant statement, whether it be of faith or fashion — or indeed both," Sotheby London's Head of Jewelry, Kristian Spofforth, shared in a statement. "We are delighted that this piece has found a new lease of life within the hands of another globally famous name."

Sources confirm to PEOPLE that Kim is honored to own a fine piece of jewelry once worn by the late princess. The beautiful cross pendant will be added to her growing collection of jewelry, pieces that were once worn or owned by strong, iconic women who have inspired Kim.

The late Princess of Wales donned the pendant on multiple occasions, the most notable being Birthright's 1987 London charity gala supporting the organization's humanitarian work for those in pregnancy and childbirth.

She wore the bejeweled, floral-detailed pendant on a long pearl chain and with a royal purple Victorian velvet gown by Catherine Walker.

Princess Diana cross necklace

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Kim Kardashian has purchased a piece of History!

Thanks for posting @gertrudecloset! It's beautiful!

I hope we see Kim wearing it. It's much too beautiful to be kept locked up. 

I wonder too how many other jewelry items from the late Princess Diana Sotheby's has "stashed away" - LOL!        Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

I wonder too how many other jewelry items from the late Princess Diana Sotheby's has "stashed away" - LOL!        Smiley Happy

@beach-mom  That's a good question.  I would like to think some of it was left for the boys though.  Glad you enjoy it!  There is a pic of just how big it is with it around Diana's neck here:

Diana, Princess Of Wales, Arriving At A Charity Gala Evening On Behalf Of Birthright At Garrard. The Princess Is Wearing A Purple Evening Dress With A Gold And Amethyst Crucifix Suspended On A Pearl Rope.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

It's a magnificent piece isn't it?  Why wouldn't this have been left to her sons?  I don't understand how Sotheby ended up with this.  I wonder if either son - now grown men- knew this was going up for auction.

Honored Contributor

I could have easily let it go.  I'm sure there are many others more impressive to make this dull by comparison.  I wouldn't wear it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The NY Post has the story.  The necklace did not belong to Diana.  It was loaned to her to wear.  The jewelry piece belonged to British luxury brand Asprey & Garrard, which loaned it to her on a number of occasions.  Its principal, Naim Attallah, a friend of Diana’s, died in 2021, survived by one son.

Esteemed Contributor

from 1987.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eeek, it's gigantic and covers her body!  Not my taste...

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@beach-mom  That's a good question.  I would like to think some of it was left for the boys though.  Glad you enjoy it!  There is a pic of just how big it is with it around Diana's neck here:

Diana, Princess Of Wales, Arriving At A Charity Gala Evening On Behalf Of Birthright At Garrard. The Princess Is Wearing A Purple Evening Dress With A Gold And Amethyst Crucifix Suspended On A Pearl Rope.

@gertrudecloset - That IS big! 

I didn't  know how they determined which of Diana's personal collection pieces would go to the boys. They were still young when her estate was settled, so I looked it up!

Diana wrote her will in 1993, adding a  "Letter of  Wishes." Originally she specified the boys should get their full inheritances when they turned 25. Diana's mother and sister were the executors, and they changed that to 30.

The young boys were each allowed to choose one special item to them. William chose a Cartier watch Diana's father had given her. She frequently wore it.

Harry chose her engagement ring, which they both agreed would go to the first of the two to marry. Of course Kate has that, but Meghan's engagement ring, designed by Harry, is surrounded by two diamonds from Diana's collection.

Interesting - Diana specified that Harry should be gifted her wedding gown when he turned 30. So Earl Spencer followed her request. I wonder if Harry ever discussed Meghan's wearing it with her.

It was her wish that her future daughters-in-law wear and enjoy her jewelry.  

Honored Contributor

I'd rather in in-line for the Queen's stash.