Honored Contributor

@Shanus...I am not good at keeping track of posters but do I recall correctly that you design jewelry...if so I have a question, thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogswrote:

@Shanus...I am not good at keeping track of posters but do I recall correctly that you design jewelry...if so I have a question, thanks.

@Mom2Dogs  Questions welcome...hope I can answer it.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus....Thank you!

I have a nice omega gold necklace...I was picking it up to put it away and it 'caught' on ...I don't know what.....the necklace did not break but now has a slight bend...I did take it to a jeweler and he massaged it a bit to try and remove the bend but of course, that did not fix it.

Would you have any idea how I can hide this spot...and of course it is in the front of the necklace.  I could just kick my self for being so careless.

I asked the jeweler about attaching something permanent to hide the bend, he discouraged me from doing that thinking I would be sorry in the future...do you have any thoughts?

I do have gold peridot enhancer that I wear with the omega but I cannot wear that everytime I wear the necklace....and sometimes I would like to just wear the omega... again any thoughts are appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogswrote:

@Shanus....Thank you!

I have a nice omega gold necklace...I was picking it up to put it away and it 'caught' on ...I don't know what.....the necklace did not break but now has a slight bend...I did take it to a jeweler and he massaged it a bit to try and remove the bend but of course, that did not fix it.

Would you have any idea how I can hide this spot...and of course it is in the front of the necklace.  I could just kick my self for being so careless.

I asked the jeweler about attaching something permanent to hide the bend, he discouraged me from doing that thinking I would be sorry in the future...do you have any thoughts?

I do have gold peridot enhancer that I wear with the omega but I cannot wear that everytime I wear the necklace....and sometimes I would like to just wear the omega... again any thoughts are appreciated.

@Mom2Dogs Unfortunately, omega chains are tough to wear and do kink. The newer ones are more fluid. I don’t have a solution unless you do place a pendant or enhancer on the chain...of course, no guarantee that the pendant will stay in position and not slide showing the kink.

If it were my chain, I’d have it cut (assuming the kink is in the exact middle) & have something permanently soldered between the 2 halves. You may already have a favorite gold pin, coin, ring, earring that can be made into such a piece. 

Not wanting to spend additional money? Sell it for the gold when prices are up and just chalk it up to lesson learned. I owned an omega years ago. The same thing happened and I never purchased another one.

Honored Contributor

Good morning @Shanus, I was afraid that was going to be your answer, but wanted another opinion.

I purchased the omega when something important happened in my life so I hate to get rid of it but.....if I don't wear it what is the point in having it?

Thanks for your advice.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogswrote:

Good morning @Shanus, I was afraid that was going to be your answer, but wanted another opinion.

I purchased the omega when something important happened in my life so I hate to get rid of it but.....if I don't wear it what is the point in having it?

Thanks for your advice.

Happy Saturday @Mom2Dogs. I understand that the chain is important to you. If the kink was around back, near the clasp, and the chain had enough length, you could cut out that portion and have it soldered back together. I can’t think of a way to repair it in the middle that would show to the front. I’m so sorry this happened. 

Respected Contributor

Depending upon where the kink is, I thought maybe a slide (pendant) might be a solution.  Slides were popular years ago,  when the omega was the 'in' style.  The slides were usually curved, slide over the omega, and covered about an inch or more of the chain. 

Unlike a pendant,  which hangs from the chain,  the slide design was often horizontal and rests over the chain.

The 'loops' on the back of the slide are often placed at the 2 ends and are completely hidden behind the slide design.

Where is the kink?  If it's somewhere on the side,  maybe a decorative bead or small pendant or deocrative pearl clasp (or even a bezel set gemstone) could be soldered to the kink,  either with or without cutting the chain.   But be sure the jeweler doing it uses a technique that won't melt the omega or the pendant,  since these days most jewelry is hollow.   I'm not an expert,  but I think a good jeweler can use a laser or some other cold solder method.

Honored Contributor

I like Lavenderjunkies idea of soldering a bezel set gemstone over the kink.  No matter where it is (meaning somewhere near the front) it will look like its supposed to be that way.  I have never bought a gold herringbone or omega because of the possible damage problem.  The silver ones are no big deal if they are damaged. 

Respected Contributor

"Depending upon where the kink is, I thought maybe a slide (pendant) might be a solution.  Slides were popular years ago,  when the omega was the 'in' style.  The slides were usually curved, slide over the omega, and covered about an inch or more of the chain. 

Unlike a pendant,  which hangs from the chain,  the slide design was often horizontal and rests over the chain.

The 'loops' on the back of the slide are often placed at the 2 ends and are completely hidden behind the slide design.

Where is the kink?  If it's somewhere on the side,  maybe a decorative bead or small pendant or deocrative pearl clasp (or even a bezel set gemstone) could be soldered to the kink,  either with or without cutting the chain.   But be sure the jeweler doing it uses a technique that won't melt the omega or the pendant,  since these days most jewelry is hollow.   I'm not an expert,  but I think a good jeweler can use a laser or some other cold solder method."

If you use a gemstone,  you could have a second one added on the other side of the omega to balance the design,  if that's more pleasing to your eye.  You could even repurpose a pair of stud earrings (either gemstone or diamonique)  or even buy a new pair of  earrings in a perfect size,  just for this purpose.  A very small (CZ)diamonique stone (1/4 carat) would look great on either one side or both sides of the omega.

Discuss the ideas with a jeweler you think can do the work before you make any investments.

Honored Contributor

Some sort of horizontal slide might do the trick.  I have an alligator slide that's about three inches long, so it covers about three inches of the neckwire I wear it on.