Honored Contributor

During Carolyn Pollack's recent visit, I purchased this pendant which finally arrived.  The one I received had very little oxidation and was mostly just flat, shiny silver.  This was disappointing as I've always liked heavy oxidation on my Southwest jewelry to show the fine detail. 

I thought about sending it back, then I remembered this old trick which is much more simple than the return process.  I really like the pendant.

Eggs contain sulphur and sulphur causes silver to oxidize, so I sliced a hard boiled egg and put it in a zip lock sandwich bag overnight with the pendant.  This morning, my pendant was perfect.  My dogs got the egg with their breakfasts.

Had the pendant gotten too dark, I would have just removed some of the oxidation with a polishing cloth.  This is a gentle method of darkening silver.  Keep this in the back of your mind in case you need to oxidize silver after you've removed too much with polishing.

Screenshot_20210812-105827_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

thanks for the info @Kachina624 .  Good to know.  Beautiful pendant.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Valued Contributor

I ordered the same enhancer. Mine seems to be oxidized just right for me. I have worn it on Carolyn's red leather woven necklace. I wore it around the house and to the mailbox. Thanks for the information on how to oxidize.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624    Thanks for the information and do enjoy wearing that beautiful silver.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

During Carolyn Pollack's recent visit, I purchased this pendant which finally arrived.  The one I received had very little oxidation and was mostly just flat, shiny silver.  This was disappointing as I've always liked heavy oxidation on my Southwest jewelry to show the fine detail. 

I thought about sending it back, then I remembered this old trick which is much more simple than the return process.  I really like the pendant.

Eggs contain sulphur and sulphur causes silver to oxidize, so I sliced a hard boiled egg and put it in a zip lock sandwich bag overnight with the pendant.  This morning, my pendant was perfect.  My dogs got the egg with their breakfasts.

Had the pendant gotten too dark, I would have just removed some of the oxidation with a polishing cloth.  This is a gentle method of darkening silver.  Keep this in the back of your mind in case you need to oxidize silver after you've removed too much with polishing.

Screenshot_20210812-105827_Chrome.jpg

@Kachina624 

That's great that you shared this tip, it truly is easy and efficient.  I'm a jewelry dealer and use it when a piece is over polished and the detail is lost or minimal as you mentioned.

And I love the pendant, that is really nice!

Respected Contributor

Well, that's interesting. Who knew? Thanks for sharing the tip. 

Trusted Contributor

A very slightly different  version is to hardboil an egg, and when it is cool enough just crack one end and put the whole egg in  the baggie with the jewelry.  I check it periodically, and take the piece out when it reaches the desired color.   Its a good idea if the piece of jewelry does not come into direct contact with the egg, I believe, in order to keep the oxidation consistent.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   Thank you.  This is why I like returning to the boards.  There's always something to learn.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Thank you for sharing. That is a very clever tip.

Honored Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

A very slightly different  version is to hardboil an egg, and when it is cool enough just crack one end and put the whole egg in  the baggie with the jewelry.  I check it periodically, and take the piece out when it reaches the desired color.   Its a good idea if the piece of jewelry does not come into direct contact with the egg, I believe, in order to keep the oxidation consistent.

@Bookplate   I don't see how that would work since the Sulphur is in that dark greenish layer that surrounds the yolk.  Since the white seals the yolk off, I don't see how the Sulphur could escape.

I always make sure the egg doesn't touch the silver. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment