Respected Contributor

I like his jewelry, but it's hard to watch the show.  He goes on and on and on - about how many times he's traveled the world, how whatever he's selling is no longer available (he discusses that at length - again over and over), how difficult it is to make the jewelry he's presenting (again discussing at length), etc. etc.

Just present the jewelry and move on already.

Valued Contributor

I agree.

Honored Contributor

I think many of Jay's customers are rock hounds and are interested in hearing about his trips, adventures, experiences. 

The hosts are pretty good about reining him in and keeping the shows on track.

My objection to buying his jewelry is that on-air they show the best piece out of several thousand.  What you actually receive is a far cry.  Returns are too expensive for the extravagance of just viewing a piece of junk.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   I think you make a very good point. 

I'm tired of ordering an item (of whatever type) and spending 5 minutes deciding that it's not for me and then having to deal with the cost of returning it.

Esteemed Contributor

Kachina, you must have had a bad experience with Jay King. I ordered some rings from him a few years ago and am pleased with the quality. Definitely not junk.  King's prices have increased since then and I can't afford to buy from him any time soon. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw.  I've ordered a lot from Jay over the years and have frequently had to return unsatisfactory pieces, especially the past few years.  This week I'm returning a labradorite necklace that is dead and has no color or labradoressence.   I should have known better.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have a fair amount of Jay king pieces and now I think I have enough.  Nothing really strikes me though he did recently have some really pretty Larimar pieces.  Most of what I have purchased over they years I have liked but there are a few pieces that I should have returned but never did so that's on me.   I figured even though I won't wear those particular items, they are still organic gems, so I look at it that way.  Mostly what he shows now I'm not interested in, but that's a good thing.  I think it's time he retires.

Honored Contributor

I have a few pieces and agree about him rambling on about things we have heard from him a million times over and over--am a little put off by how much he calls some sale items "stupid" deals--look man---we helped you buy all your fancy houses and airplanes by buying your stupid deals. I will watch but with the mute on. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have loved Jay's jewelry, but honestly I haven't watched in a while.

I have purchased beautiful stone necklaces from Jay King, which I do still love.  I do think the quality of his stones is inconsistent, and I would order 2 or 3 of the same item with the expectation of keeping one and returning the rest.  Sometimes they were all good.  So I assumed those extra purchases in my pricing decision.  I couldn't find jewelry like that any other place, so he was my only source.

With respect to labradorite, I think for good pieces now, one has to pay a lot more money.  I used to be able to get good pieces, but many years ago I realized all the labradorite at HSN at reasonable prices is junk.  No adularescence or whatever the name is for the play of light.  The color, if any, is flat.  So I stopped buying because that stone is not that desirable to me to spend a lot of money on.

Stones generally have very low re-sale value, so I buy what I would like to wear.  I like buy and wear brightly colored stones, which I find look better on me.

The last time I shopped Jay, most of the stones being offered were dark, so easy pass.

Frequent Contributor

I can't watch him at all anymore!  His constant stuttering drives me nuts.