Honored Contributor

Re: JUDITH RIPKA LEAVING QVC?

I think as a general rule, these jewelry companies don't flourish when the owner/designer moves on.  At one time they said they would continue to sell Ripka, but I don't think that promise is going to last much longer.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Tinkrbl44   Yes, she did sell the company and her daughter in law appeared on Q to present JR jewelry, but I think the style for big "in your face" jewelry went out years ago. Her silver and diamonique or silver and gemstone pieces were too expensive in comparison. I think her jewelry stopped selling well here. Even her gold pieces were too expensive just because JR was stamped inside.

Yes @Shanus . I also noticed when she sold the company that her pieces that were fine jewelry they used 14k instead of 18k gold in addition to I1 diamonds and J-K colors all poorly cut. I know this because I ordered a pair of 14k gold amethyst earrings where the diamonds looked like gravel from the street. Woman Mad

@Trinity11   Ooh!  Sorry to hear that. I think that falls more on Q's quality control.

Esteemed Contributor

I noticed the severe drop in products available. At mid-last week, there were still 1,300 plus. The other day, it plummeted to 109, then went back up to 389.  A lot of the gemstone pieces (I had several in my wish list) disappeared.

I still like her elegant aesthetic and can only take so much oxidized, heavier silver pieces like those in the JAI line, some of which I really like but not all the time. It's nice to have a choice and I hope the Q brings some Ripka things back.

Esteemed Contributor

After she sold her business some years ago, the quality changed.  Became more a CZ thing.  It was sad to see.

New Contributor

I noticed the same thing.  Many of the pieces in my wish list suddenly disappeared and said they were no longer available.  The company PRANDA which purchased her brand took most of the 18k pieces off the official website and now they've started selling sterling pieces at very highl prices. The  beautiful Judith Ripka design aesthetic is missing. These pieces on the Judith Ripka website are ultra modern looking. I have also noticed that the quality of the QVC pieces has diminished over the years and the prices have gone higher. So sad to see this happening. Seems like once a designer retires their brand completely loses its value. 

Honored Contributor

If anyone is thinking about what's available with JR watches these days, check out Ebay.  Good selection, if you're familiar with her line and the pieces you've seen on QVC.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think as a general rule, these jewelry companies don't flourish when the owner/designer moves on.  At one time they said they would continue to sell Ripka, but I don't think that promise is going to last much longer.

@faeriemoon 

I agree .....  I didn't realize she SOLD the company.  I thought she had retired and her sons and wives were running it.   I still can't believe she only got $22 million for the company.  Maybe all they bought was the name.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  and  others ... the products are gradually coming back. There are 1,113 items...close to the original 1,300 plus that used to be on the site.