Honored Contributor

has Southwestern jewelry on now. Anybody collect it.

Frequent Contributor

I collect turquoise jewelry.  I have gotten a few pieces from JTV that I love, but if you look at the bottom of each item, it usually says enhanced treatments or something like that and I try to get genuine turquoise.  I'm a big collectom from Jay King on HSN, everything is real, no fake treatments to enhance it.  I'm a turtle collector and my favorite turquoise piece ever is from JTV.  They don't carry it any longer.  They're prices are very reasonable and sometimes unusual pieces that you can't find anywhere else.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have a small collection of Southwest jewelry. A few bracelets from Chaco Canyon (HSN), a few silver and silver w/ gemstone link bracelets from C. Pllack/ American West and Paul Deasy. A few rings, silver and silver w/ turquoise. A silver beaded necklce from C Pollack. Two pendants, one turq and silver from Chaco Canyon and a silver bird and orange resin pendant from C Pollack.

I wear it mainly in spring and summer but some of the bracelets I'll wear all year long.

Nothing yet from JTV altho' I do shop there. Maybe today............Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mega Shopper wrote:

I collect turquoise jewelry.  I have gotten a few pieces from JTV that I love, but if you look at the bottom of each item, it usually says enhanced treatments or something like that and I try to get genuine turquoise.  I'm a big collectom from Jay King on HSN, everything is real, no fake treatments to enhance it.  I'm a turtle collector and my favorite turquoise piece ever is from JTV.  They don't carry it any longer.  They're prices are very reasonable and sometimes unusual pieces that you can't find anywhere else.

@Mega Shopper    All turquoise on the market today is treated or "stabilized".  It's a very soft stone and if not treated to harden it, it would change color with exposure to chemicals like cosmetic, lotions and hair spray and would easily crack or break if accidently knocked.  Some turquoise, like Sleeping Beauty, is if such poor quality, it's little more than chalk.  It would not be jewelry quality if not stabilized.  For years, Jay King used reconstituted or "block" turquoise.

I'm a turquoise snob and have collected for years.  I often buy nice unset stones and have pieces made, buy from Indian silversmiths or craftsmen at craft fairs.  I never buy turquoise from TV shopping as it's often poor quality and doesn't have the beautiful matrix that collectors favor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Hi @Mega Shopper 

Kachina is correct. if you research it a bit,  you'll learn about it too.  I looked into the stabilizing thing and learned Turq needs it to benefit the stone. 

Give it a chance - your turq will last longer and not be as fragile etc...

Happy shopping Smiley Wink