Occasional Contributor

How much would u spend on a necklace?

Mine always breaks. And have u tried qvc necklaces and how did u like them? Thanks!
Respected Contributor

Re: How much would u spend on a necklace?

are you talking about a chain for your necklace?  As a rule, the chains that come with a necklace is referred to as a "courtesy chain". (the manufacturer is providing a fine "courtesy" chain so you can wear the pendant right away.)  they are meant to be replaced with something a bit more substantial.

Respected Contributor

I have spent thousands.  I usually only wear gold.  I find silver a bit soft, and I hate to polish it.

I treat my fine jewelry with care, but any piece can break for various reasons (e.g., my dog jumped on my arm and dented my bracelet once.)

If you buy stainless steel, it rarely breaks.

The bronze jewelry is also pretty strong.

I have been buying QVC jewelry for decades, but I shop everywhere. My favorite QVC jewelry brands are Judith Ripka, Eternagold and Imperial Gold.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks I didn't know they were called courtesy chains. Yep I was talking about the ones that come with the necklace and the pendant. Thanks for the tip on the stainless steel and the bronze jewelry. I haven't had those yet. The ones I've had has those thin chains on them.
Respected Contributor

if you are talking about gold, i would expect to pay around $100 or so for a decent chain.

Occasional Contributor

OK thanks.ur right the chain is the problem.
Honored Contributor

It will depend on the quality of chain you want, the caliber, the length, etc.  I would expect a chain for $100 would be pretty thin and pretty short.  I have several I bought 20-25 years ago for that price that are pretty nice but gold has gone through the ceiling in this century.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are necklaces and necklaces.  When I wore gold I used heavier chains that today would cost $200-$2000.  I now wear sterling exclusively and still wear heavier chains and statement pendants.  Even on eBay they run $80- $200 to hold pendants.  Sometimes I wear braided leather with silver findings ($40-$90). I like American West enhancers because back snaps shut over wide variety of necklaces; in that case I frequently use heavy neck wires or beads that are individually knotted.  You don't want to know what I've invested in necklace over last 55 years.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I have spent thousands.  I usually only wear gold.  I find silver a bit soft, and I hate to polish it.

I treat my fine jewelry with care, but any piece can break for various reasons (e.g., my dog jumped on my arm and dented my bracelet once.)

If you buy stainless steel, it rarely breaks.

The bronze jewelry is also pretty strong.

I have been buying QVC jewelry for decades, but I shop everywhere. My favorite QVC jewelry brands are Judith Ripka, Eternagold and Imperial Gold.

@FancyPhillyshopper   I have to disagree about silver jewelry. If thick enough, it's not soft. It also does not need to be polished if worn often and can be purchased with a rhodium plating. I make jewelry in silver and have for over 25 years. Gold and many metals tarnish if not worn often, too. 

All necklaces in any metals can be kinked, twisted and broken if not cared for properly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually wear 18K gold.  Sometimes 14K, but never 10K.  My chains have never discolored.  For chains, I prefer the box chain, being very strong.  Necklaces, I have a big Omega (18K 32 grams)  what they used to call "honkers" Omega are rarely worn now.  Mine sits in a box in the bank vault. My husband got it for me years ago.  I can't remember how much it cost, but it was just under $1,000, or perhaps over.  It might have been back in the early 20's or mid 20's.  I can't really recall.  I don't have diamond necklaces or anything like that.  I have pendants of sapphires or  rubies and I do wear those with chains.  I only wear corundom (sapphires/ruby)  Excpept for a rubilite, I don't own any soft stones.  

For silver, I only like Ultra Fine.  QVC has not offered new Ultra Fine in a long time.  And I think their deal with the company may be over. But that is the only silver I wear.  They have never tarnished on me. But I have several thick, very shiny chains, ropes, etc.  I only wear fine jewelry.  Never costume. Only a few pieces of Sterling.  One ring, I never take off.  That's the one Sterling that never tarnishes.