Honored Contributor

How does JR gold clad hold up?

Just wondering how JR gold clad holds up to hand washing and in the shower, or is it best to remove the jewelry.

Super Contributor

Re: How does JR gold clad hold up?

Hi baker, I have several pieces of Judith's rose clad jewelry. However, I don't bathe or shower in any of my jewelry. I never have. I know through regular hand washing I haven't had any problems with the clad.

Regular Contributor

My neighbour has a silver and gold clad JR bracelet from the Q and almost all of the clad has worn off BUT it is a bracelet that she has NOT taken off since she received it a few years ago (it was an early clad piece). I have very few JR clad pieces and mine look brand new -- I NEVER wear jewelry when bathing or showering or during any chores.

Trusted Contributor

hello baker,

I have been wearing the rose clad rolling bracelet since I got it, about 3 years ago. I don't take my bracelets off, live alone and just wouldn't be able to put them all on every morning!

The bracelet could use a good cleaning (along with the others I wear), but other than that, the clad has not rubbed off and it still looks great. I wear it in the shower, sunbathing, cleaning - cruel & unusual punishment. I wear it with a ss/yg Yurman brace & 2 other JR ss bracelets, which haven't been off my wrist in many years either.

Super Contributor

OP, sorry I can't answer your question ; I don't own any JR clad pieces ....tho I've been on a search for her country link in clad for awhile . Anyway, your question just reminded me of an experience I once had . I brought a ring to a jewelers for repair, many years ago . I mentioned that I wore it all the time & she gave me a look that could kill , lol ! She said to always remove jewelry when doing chores , etc. .....anyway , you'd think I'd committed a crime by wearing that ring all the time .
Honored Contributor

Thank you for all your responses, I guess I'll be safe and remove the JR jewelry.

Trusted Contributor

Well Baker, I'm glad you are going to remove your Ripka before going to shower. Personally I can't stand to have jewelry on when in the water. I just can't do it too the costly jewelry these days. I have a good friend that never takes off her diamond earrings. Doesn't clean them either. I can't put my pretty stuff in the state of soap scum forming. Needlessly. But we are all different and that makes the world go around. ?? Funny thing, on my iPad when I put in a winking face or smiling whatever, it prints,out as ?? Oh well......
Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Valued Contributor

I wonder if she has used the ion plating right from the beginning. It's not supposed to wear off an someone stated her friends did. I like the color of gold she uses but it doesn't match my solid 14K as it's a lighter color than that. I've seen a few pieces on Ebay too where the seller said it had worn off some on parts that get more wear. I know I would always be looking at it for signs of the silver coming through. Don't want to worry about that. The company that took over her business seems to making her pieces lighter and less substantial than before. I hope they don't cut corners in the thickness of gold applied. You wouldn't know until years latter. Also, if you wear too much clad at once it kind of loses it's believability as few can afford to be draped in all that gold. I just haven't jumped on the clad bandwagon as yet for these reasons!

Regular Contributor

I have had ion plating wear off on a watch bracelet (the company swore it wasn't possible) so I think any clad can wear off in time. I have a few Ripka clad pieces but I deliberately selected earrings and necklaces because I believe that they are less likely to rub against surfaces that would damage the gold clad. I do have 2 clad cuffs and 1 clad ring but they are dressier pieces that I don't plan to wear casually. With proper care, the gold clad should last a long time.
Honored Contributor

Never bought and of JR's but I do have an Affinity ring with gold-clad and that ring has been through everything except bread kneading.