Highlighted
Honored Contributor

How do you keep extenders in the back?

I'm talking about necklace extenders.  Because of the weight or whatever, they seem to swing aroud to the side or front.  It's not just my problem, I see this frequently on TV.  Even a plain clasp seems to end up in front occasionally.  All I can think of is tape.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep extenders in the back?

Not a big problem.  I just reach up and feel it once in awhile throughout the day and adjust as necessary.  Only medical tape sticks well to skin and it's unsightly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I attached a small magnetic clasp to my neck chain. Then I put a safety pin on the underside of the back of my shirt neckline (collar band if it has one) and that will catch the magnet on the neck chain and keep it from going to the front. You don't have to use the magnetic clasp as a closure but just clip one of the magnets to the closure on your neck chain. You just need the magnet there to catch on the safety pin on your shirt or tee. Hope that made sense. Of course it won't work on open-back tops or dresses.

Honored Contributor

I use a lot of extenders and they may only slightly move.

Honored Contributor

I have a few different sizes of magnetic extenders that I use. I think that makes a big difference. I have big ones for my bigger, chunkier necklaces and then small ones for my more delicate chains---and even mid sized ones too. 

Esteemed Contributor

i just check periodically and adjust if necessary.  Not a big deal.  It's not just extenders, necklaces without them will also move.

If you like Silleeme's idea and don't have a magnet, maybe a safety pin attached to the back of the garment and necklace will do the same thing.  I've never tried it but may think about it.  I have used safety pins to shorten necklaces to fit a particular neckline.  A stylist trick from Carol Brodie on HSN.  She used to provide jewelry to celebrities on red carpets.  I haven't seen her in a while.  Don't want to be tempted...  I used to love her things.  Now I'll have to look...

Honored Contributor

SilleeMee, you are absolutely brilliant!  Thanks so much.