Esteemed Contributor
On 5/14/2014 Porcelain said:

It's like the hosts are giving everyone extra permission to impulse buy since they're doing it too. Crowd psychology.

Someone there must have noticed that they get a sales spike when the hosts talk about buying things. We're supposed to think, 'Well she should know. She sees all sorts of stuff everyday. So if she wants that thing it must be really good!'

I think that is exactly what is happening. The producer is monitoring sales as they go along. They can see what words or phrases cause a spike in sales. Then they tell them to repeat that or to keep doing what they are doing. I took the tour and saw it for myself. I think the hosts ordering is tacky and it does not influence me in the slightest.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

BeckiWV, not sure if this is the one you're thinking of, but I remember Angelique de Paris (a long ago vendor) saying that she wanted to order one of her own products before it sold out. I didn't believe her, but who knows.

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/15/2014 Issiestorm said:

BeckiWV, not sure if this is the one you're thinking of, but I remember Angelique de Paris (a long ago vendor) saying that she wanted to order one of her own products before it sold out. I didn't believe her, but who knows.

That could be it. Smiley Happy

It was a long time ago. I just remember thinking "Oh, please....."

Super Contributor
On 5/14/2014 circles said:

its a childish woman thing....you never hear the men yell out...order me this GPS....Bose...or any of the various "men-type" products...

Paul Kelly used to do it on the 50-in-50 Tour. "Dad, buy this."

Issiestorm, I'm with you on the old Taxco Traditions shows. Items were affordable, too.

I often wonder why the host doesn't just buy/keep the sample they're presenting.

Honored Contributor

I know this might come as a shock to a few of you, but MAYBE they just want the item, and they aren't trying to "trick" you into buying. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Not every garment has "hanger appeal". ...... Some things look weird on a hanger, and yet when you see it on a person, it looks great. I think that what might be going on ... at least some of the time.

Frequent Contributor
On 5/14/2014 Ladybug724 said:

I think it's a ploy also to push an unpopular color--"Quick Chunky,order me the crop pants in neon green" then neon green will start to sell

Omg! You win, Ladybug.

Frequent Contributor

I think the hosts might change their minds, when they see the item in person and get the chance to handle an item. It does happenSmiley Wink I never buy because the host does.

I do think if the host is presenting a new item, that hasn't yet been presented, then they should allow the customers first dibs. Especially on new jewelry items. I have seen some of the hosts order on air, and I agree it's unprofessional.

Regular Contributor
Hosts get 30% discount.
Super Contributor
On 5/14/2014 stevieb said:

Whatever their motivation, it doesn't really bother me and it also doesn't make me rush to the computer to follow suit..., though it is rather transparent.

I find more and more hosts doing this now. It must be an epidemic on QVC.

Super Contributor

I can't believe that people honestly think that the host really do have someone ""ordering"" the item(s) for them.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.