Honored Contributor

Re: Host-Designed Diamonique Rings

Passed on Diamonds opting instead Diamonique.  Deciding between two rings. Receive compliments often on a classic three stone style enjoy wearing. Diamonique affords me the opportunity owning more than one style and lifetime warranty. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so over DMQ and have been for years. Never was drawn in by the host designed rings, the only one ever to have captured my fancy and that was years ago, being the 'love' inscribed ring. I believe it was attributed to Mary Beth... I just happened to like the ring... Don't think it's still offered by QVC... The current one being cited looks over the top and like exactly what it is, a fake... I think the faux diamond rings are more believable when they feature fewer stones and preferably a single reasonably sized stone...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Even two diamonds with the exact carat weight, same cut, can look completely different in size. The table or top surface of the stone can be larger and the stone can be more shallow. Another diamond of the same carat weight can have a smaller table and be a deeper stone...the dimensions from the table to the culet (point) differ.

For me, the purpose of wearing Diamonique is to emulate a possibly real diamond. I purchase ones similar in size to what I wear in diamonds to switch out when traveling, etc. That's more believable than all of a sudden wearing a 6.5 carat ring or Tova's 8 ct. stud earrings. 

I find the photos, in the item # description, of how the stone looks on the hand or ear more helpful than the actual weight. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My take on Courtney's ring is that these larger designs are fueled by celebrities' rings that can go as high as 10-12 carats. If you own a 1 or 2 ct diamond ring, maybe you want to copy a favorite celebrity engagement ring. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac :  That ring looks similar to Hoda's new engagement ring.  I'm sure her five carat ring isn't diamonique.

Super Contributor

i think QVC should make rings with unique settings in smaller carat weights that are believable. these big stones look phony. back in the old days when the Q was using real gold, the settings and  variety of different stone shapes  really provided a nice selection of choices. nowadays the halo rings are being overused. and the variety of  shapes seriously lacking. 

Esteemed Contributor

In my opinion “Courtney’s Ring” is much too large ... I would not feel comfortable wearing a ring with a center stone that size .... I am surprised she “designed” a ring that size because she is a small framed woman & the ring seems to overwhelm her .... I saw it on her today during a show & it does not stay straight on top of her finger .. it flips over to the side because it’s top heavy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarytoo wrote:

i think QVC should make rings with unique settings in smaller carat weights that are believable. these big stones look phony. back in the old days when the Q was using real gold, the settings and  variety of different stone shapes  really provided a nice selection of choices. nowadays the halo rings are being overused. and the variety of  shapes seriously lacking. 

@tarytoo  I was in a mall jewelry store yesterday just browsing and wandered over to the diamond jewelry. The halo setting is quite popular and when I asked the jeweler, he said many brides choosing engagement rings that are 1/2 ct to 1.5 cts choose that setting so their stones appear larger. Also celebrities are choosing the halo style and women are copying that.

There are standard cuts and Diamonique is using them all: round, oval, marquise, heart shape, emerald cut, cushion and princess. Most were represented in the case yesterday. 

Why Diamonique has been looking fake is the flimsy settings, not necessarily the style of settings. Diamonds are set in substantial basket settings, champagne settings or  "Tiffany" settings with ample, well-finished and polished prongs. I've received pieces that seem like they never went through the filing process, much less polishing and finishing. The worst is the 4 ct total earrings (plat. clad) I ordered that had China stamped on a prong that was quite visible while wearing the earring. Just stupidity. They're still online and is clearly seen in the photo. I assume no one else wants them either...been there for years. They only have a few pr. of 4 ct total earrings and wanted them to match my real ones for travel.

I ended up w/ Nordstrom brand CZ earrings. They have a great selection of CZ jewelry, sterling silver and gold clad, good price point and after 18 months, the stones are still clear. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree - the host design rings are usually huge! They're not believable, and not my taste. What Diamonique lacks is smaller, more dainty rings. These huge stone rings are not for most women. 

Esteemed Contributor

Again, an unbelievable size . If you have   larger hands  , guess it might look nice. For some with  small hands it is way to big .  If I wear a simulated  stone to look like a diamond  instead of my real diamond wedding set  than I want it to be believable to what  my Husband or I could really afford . There's a lot of us who could not afford a real 6 ct diamond .  When I ski  , I don't like to wear my real  valuable jewelry for fear of loosing it . When you ski you are constantly taking your gloves off or readjusting a scarf or hat to cover your ears. I've had my real diamond get stuck in  glove lining & earring stuck in  knit  hats & scarves.  I don't want to be pretentious to my friends  by wearing some 6 ct .  Believeable sizes  for me are between 1- 2-3 ct .  That's my 2 cents . I have old Diamonique  1 ct  earrings in gold  &  2 ct  ring  in gold  that I bought close to 20 yrs ago

. They still are bright  as ever.