Super Contributor

Re: Going to sell some jewelry, need some advice

On 8/4/2014 esmeraldagooch said:
On 8/4/2014 smarty said:

Gold pricing is not really simple at all...most of the trading occurs in markets outside of US regulatory control, unlike the US stock market.

Many have been watching this unfold. Silver first, now gold. Very disconcerting.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/as-london-silver-benchmark-to-end-gold-may-be-next-2014-05-16

Yep...hardly simple...

Super Contributor

On 8/4/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/4/2014 ennui_too said:

I have no intention of bartering it...we aren't going into a financial disaster where money is useless...no matter what Rush, Sean, etc. are paid to say.

The thing about disasters ... they unfold very quickly, and it's shocking how structure falls apart.

I don't expect financial disaster, but there's always the plague.

Are you kidding?

I guess you don't read or watch a lot of science fiction. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Civilization wiped out by a virus. Not so far-fetched.

Honored Contributor

The thing about disasters ... they unfold very quickly, and it's shocking how structure falls apart.

Are you kidding?

I read NON-fiction.

Reality.

Respected Contributor

OMG.... Ennui... ......
Super Contributor

Are you kidding?

I read NON-fiction.

Reality.

I guess that would explain why you're so humorless.

I really don't get you. Why are you so mean sometimes? In my thread on Ocean Beach I was surprised by your remark to me. You treat some people like they're beneath you.

Honored Contributor

On 8/4/2014 kivah said:

Goldie76: 30 years ago, my mom left me her diamond engagement ring and diamond wedding band. My friend went with me to the jewelry mart, downtown Los Angeles, where I had the diamonds re-set into one band. My friend knew about jewelry and had the jeweler do all the work in front of us. I also saw a few shows on Judge Judy - where people brought in their jewelry to re-set - and the jeweler replaced the diamond with a fake stone. One jewerler actually said he lost the person's jewelry, which she inherited. It's also a good idea to take pics of ur jewelry - just in case. Once the jewelry is switched, it's very hard to prove. SCAMS go on every day!!!!!!

That actually happened to a friend of mine, too. I left an amethyst bracelet with the same jewelers to appraise it, and now I'm wondering if they have cheated me. (I did this before hearing about my friend's episode with them.) But I was wondering about having the jewelers walk to the back of their shop with a gold chain. If it is a distinctive chain, what could be done in a short period of time? Thank you, kivah.