Super Contributor

Re: Going to sell some jewelry, need some advice

Gold pricing is not really simple at all...most of the trading occurs in markets outside of US regulatory control, unlike the US stock market.

Super Contributor

On 8/3/2014 Goldie76 said:
On 8/3/2014 kivah said:

First, call the jeweler and ask how much they're paying per gram for 10KT. I suggest u separate by grade and take in all of that grade, i.e., 10KT or 14KT etc. It will be easier for u organize and will be less confusing. Never take ur eyes off the jewelry --- don't let them take some pieces to the back. They need to do everything in front of ur eyes. If that goes well, u can take more jewelry in later on.

kivah, if we know our pieces, what is the danger if the jeweler takes the pieces to the back? It sounds as though you know something that the rest of us might benefit from knowing. Would this be only if the gold pieces have precious stones or no matter what sort of pieces they are? TIA

Some people don't trust anyone. I think kivah is suspicious of everyone. If you're selling scrap, though, they really have no reason to take it in the back, unless they want to do an acid test, I suppose.

Regular Contributor

HOw about pieces with expensive jewels -- like diamonds -- have several and never wear them any more -- my fingers have got bigger and don't go paces where they are appropriate to wear. they were very expensive -- keep them in the bank vault -- still paying tons of money to insure them.

Super Contributor

On 8/4/2014 kingtut said:

HOw about pieces with expensive jewels -- like diamonds -- have several and never wear them any more -- my fingers have got bigger and don't go paces where they are appropriate to wear. they were very expensive -- keep them in the bank vault -- still paying tons of money to insure them.

Did you inform your insurance provider that you are keeping them in the vault? If you haven't I would talk to them and get your premium reduced.

Esteemed Contributor

Goldie76: 30 years ago, my mom left me her diamond engagement ring and diamond wedding band. My friend went with me to the jewelry mart, downtown Los Angeles, where I had the diamonds re-set into one band. My friend knew about jewelry and had the jeweler do all the work in front of us. I also saw a few shows on Judge Judy - where people brought in their jewelry to re-set - and the jeweler replaced the diamond with a fake stone. One jewerler actually said he lost the person's jewelry, which she inherited. It's also a good idea to take pics of ur jewelry - just in case. Once the jewelry is switched, it's very hard to prove. SCAMS go on every day!!!!!!

Super Contributor

On 8/4/2014 terrier3 said:

I have no intention of bartering it...we aren't going into a financial disaster where money is useless...no matter what Rush, Sean, etc. are paid to say.

The thing about disasters ... they unfold very quickly, and it's shocking how structure falls apart.

I don't expect financial disaster, but there's always the plague.

Honored Contributor

What plague? (I think a post disappeared) Anyway, OP, you are way ahead if you have a jeweler you trust because you have several personal recommendations. You are also way ahead if this jewelry has no sentimental meaning to you. It wasn't your mother's, your husband didn't give it to you just before he passed, etc. If you truly don't wear it, its no longer your style, and you could use the money for something else, sell it. If you are going to regret this down the road, think on it for awhile. I wouldn't count on gold going up. I wouldn't count on it going down, either.

Respected Contributor

On 8/4/2014 smarty said:

Gold pricing is not really simple at all...most of the trading occurs in markets outside of US regulatory control, unlike the US stock market.

Many have been watching this unfold. Silver first, now gold. Very disconcerting.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/as-london-silver-benchmark-to-end-gold-may-be-next-2014-05-16

Respected Contributor

On 8/4/2014 ennui_too said:

I have no intention of bartering it...we aren't going into a financial disaster where money is useless...no matter what Rush, Sean, etc. are paid to say.

The thing about disasters ... they unfold very quickly, and it's shocking how structure falls apart.

Doesn't take much to fire her up..... Silver is a commodity in any form, with the exception of resin filled items. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

On 8/4/2014 ennui_too said:

Are you kidding?