Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gem Day 30th Anniversary 7/28/20

One day and counting!  Bring it on.  My kitty, who has been quite ill and nearly died last week, will be watching with me.  She loves to see gems on TV and she'd wear a tiara if she could get away with it. Here she is taking a snooze while Jennifer presents a ring on the last Gem Day:

Frankie QVC gems SZD.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI, per an email from Carolyn Pollack, the 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. ET "Designer Jewelry" hour tomorrow will feature JAI and American West Jewelry.

ETA: There is also a show featuring only American West Jewelry from 2-3 a.m. ET.

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Not impressed at all with the TSV.  

Me neither.  Looks like something that came out of a gumball machine.  UGH!

Respected Contributor

@banned again wrote:

Things we'll hear over and over on Gem Day 30th Anniversary:

• buy it for Christmas gifts 
  • the prices of gold and silver have gone sky high 
  • the Argyle Mine/Sleeping Beauty/#8 Mine have closed 
  • Jeff: I've been in the jewelry business for 26 years 
  • Jane: I've been on QVC for 34 years not on yet
  • Matthew: My father used to own the Sleeping Beauty Mine/incorrect gemstone terms 
  • Katrina: "unique" 

Everything is "unique" to Katrina. 

More things we'll hear:

Jennifer: "pretty sparklies on sale"

Courtney: giggling

Jane: Disney

The garnet is the color of Scarlett's party dress/the emerald is the color of Scarlett's barbecue dress

Rick: more screaming

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ugh....Ugly looking stones!  TSV?  Nauseous looking old style.  Cabochons to the hilt.  Why?  They're way cheaper then cut stones.  That's why.  Oh here's a cut stone!  Tanzanite.  Only it's way too light.  Where's the blue purple and red flash it should have?  Sapphires that are way too dark.  But you get what you pay for.  I only watched about 30 minutes of this gem day presentation.  And just switched it off.  Back to watching Gem Shopping Network. Then get to work.

Trusted Contributor

Do you ever notice that as much as the hosts talk about how much we need the jewelry they are selling they don't wear much jewelry themselves?

Most of the hosts seem to wear those inexpensive Saint bracelets and rarely wear necklaces or earrings. So, as they are hard selling us jewelry that we "need" they don't seem to need it.

Respected Contributor

True, seems like Shawn is done with jewelry shows for that reason. I don't know if she continues to wear the "Hear My Soul Speak" ring. 

Perhaps Jane is better known for My Saint My Hero bracelets now than for silver but at least you know that she is a jewelry enthusiast: that's what kept Dan Wheeler selling jewelry for over 25 years. In Rick's case, we know his wife is a collector and has discerning taste.

If you want to see hosts wearing jewelry, turn on the Today Show (today) to see Jill wear some Ripka and JAI. I suspect we'll see Antonella continue to wear her jewelry. I'd like to know where Mary Beth is wearing her $4000 solid gold bangle.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Do you ever notice that as much as the hosts talk about how much we need the jewelry they are selling they don't wear much jewelry themselves?

Most of the hosts seem to wear those inexpensive Saint bracelets and rarely wear necklaces or earrings. So, as they are hard selling us jewelry that we "need" they don't seem to need it.

If we got paid as well as they do, I would not be spending money on TSV (for one)  I'd be spending money at jewelry stores with diamond, precious gems with great color set in platinum...NOT silver.  White metal indeed....

Honored Contributor

@banned again wrote:

@banned again wrote:

Things we'll hear over and over on Gem Day 30th Anniversary:

• buy it for Christmas gifts 
  • the prices of gold and silver have gone sky high 
  • the Argyle Mine/Sleeping Beauty/#8 Mine have closed 
  • Jeff: I've been in the jewelry business for 26 years 
  • Jane: I've been on QVC for 34 years not on yet
  • Matthew: My father used to own the Sleeping Beauty Mine/incorrect gemstone terms 
  • Katrina: "unique" 

Everything is "unique" to Katrina. 

More things we'll hear:

Jennifer: "pretty sparklies on sale"

Courtney: giggling

Jane: Disney

The garnet is the color of Scarlett's party dress/the emerald is the color of Scarlett's barbecue dress

Rick: more screaming

I did watch Rick at midnight.  I only watched for 5 minutes and turn it off.  I couldn't take his obnoxious screaming and jumping around.  I haven't watched him in a long time then remembered why.  

Esteemed Contributor

I will be shopping my jewel box for higher quality gems bought years ago and already paid for.