Respected Contributor

Re: GARNETS MIA

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 - I'll bet you do.  It's a beauty. Set in a delicate setting.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@NewNickname1x1000 

Yes, the story about Anthill garnet is very interesting. Because the little ants are doing the 'mining' the size of the garnets found are not very big. In fact a one carat Anthill garnet is rare. Most are much smaller than that and most jewelry is usually cluster designs rather than solitaires.

@SilleeMee 

I have a love for them too.

YOU ROCK ANTS !!! 🐜 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I wondered that too, @Shanus.  I never see garnets in any color or quality on the Q any more.  I'd love to see some nice deep, dark red garnets, not the pale, washed out rhodolites that are the only examples of garnets they can eke out onto the set.  I don't think garnets are mined exclusively in Myanmar or anything, are they?

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen any nice garnets for ages!  They are really one of my favorite stones!  I used to buy garnets occasionally as I felt they were a good alternative to rubies (my birthstone) since they are so expensive.  I love the really deep red garnets.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: GARNETS MIA

[ Edited ]

@CamilleP wrote:

I wondered that too, @Shanus.  I never see garnets in any color or quality on the Q any more.  I'd love to see some nice deep, dark red garnets, not the pale, washed out rhodolites that are the only examples of garnets they can eke out onto the set.  I don't think garnets are mined exclusively in Myanmar or anything, are they?

@CamilleP   I haven't purchased any loose stones to make jewelry with in quite awhile...difficult to find at gem shows. I googled and they're mined in Brazil, Kenya, and Namibia.

I'm thinking prices have gone way up since Iast purchased them and not the price points for QVC....we see few precious stones offerings at Q.  Yesterday's shows had the usual stones. They used to do the "Once in a Lifetime" shows with beautiful pieces, but not anymore. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

It seems that most Q designers have forgotten Garnets or Rhodolite Garnets, which have a more pink color, in their jewelry. The deeper red or darker pink would be a great addition...espcially in the JAI lineup. 

I would love them, too, but I imagine that they were more expensive that the $154 price of the TSV would allow. Scott mentioned Peridot on the air yesterday and said good color peridot was too expensive. If he did the bracelet, or any pieces for that matter, in Garnet/Rhodoloite or Peridot I would definitely purchase them. I am such a sucker for colored gemstones--have been all my life--since I was a little kid!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Frequent Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thank you for posting the earrings. Just stunning!

Honored Contributor

Thank you. @NewNickname1x1000 

Respected Contributor

Earrings are gorgeous

Esteemed Contributor

@NewNickname1x1000 wrote:

@Shanus   I agree. Garnet is my birthstone and that is the first thing I searched for when I saw the TSV bracelet.

A few years ago, I bought a Garnet ring on QVC and it was a deep dark red. It is still one of my favorite pieces of jewelry.

You might be referring to the Proybe or Almadine Garnet.  I have one set in 14kt gold with small diamonds around it.  Beautiful.

Facts About Pyrope Garnet: Meanings, Properties, and ...

The red is so juicy looking and this stone is always natural too.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life