Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a special piece of inherited jewelry?

I had my great grandmothers wide rose gold, hand etched wedding band but it was stolen in a burglary.   I was so sick about it that when I inherited my aunt's diamond engagement ring, I gave it to my sister. I didn't want to risk another loss.  She wears it daily.  I'm not big on diamonds and rarely wore it.

I inherited my mom's turquoise jewelry, sister got her diamonds.  We were both happy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My dad gave me mom's second set of wedding rings.  

I wear my mom's rings all the time. It's a 1.35 ct emerald cut diamond in 14kt white gold setting. My dad bought it for her when we lived in Hawaii in the 60's for $700. I have the appraisal my dad had done in 1982.  

I also have an engraved gold bracelet my dad gave me when I was 12 years old. Still looks just like it did the day I got it.  

My dad was in the Air Force so he always brought us kids something back when he went overseas. I know he was in Japan, Thailand plus more.  Also PJ's (I think they were silk), ladybug watch necklace that opened to see the time.  

Honored Contributor

I have my grandmothers emerald engagement ring and a gold ring with a piece of whales tooth for the stone with small pure gold nuggets around the tooth that my great aunt, who was a school teacher in Alaska during the gold rush, bought.  Both of these are from my mothers side of the family.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Catiele

reminds me of another treasure...and that it isn't just the diamonds and gold that are valuable treasures...

The last piece of jewelry my mom gave me was very costume...Valentine's Day 2020. At her assisted living every now and then, a local boutique or something like that, would come, set up a table and sell either consignment jewelry or fashion costume things. My mom, always the shopper of "pretty things", loved that.

That last Vday we had together, I showed up in the afternoon with some flowers for her, and she was in the sitting/living room up front, and had nodded off. But even asleep she was holding tight to a little bag with hearts all over it. I went up to her and she gave me the signature "lit up" smile, happy to see me...and immediately held out her hand with the bag..."I bought you something!" Inside was the sweetest little bracelet, with just clear plastic beads, some silver tone chains, and a Brighton like heart charm. I love that thing. She was excited to give it to me. "Did I pick a good one?" 

Just weeks later Covid, lockdown, window only visits, and then, sadly, she was one of the early victims. Not saying all this for sympathy or to bring this happy thread down, truly...just the backstory is important to me, still. 

I love that bracelet...often afraid to wear it...not because it's "faux"...but it's fragile, probably wouldn't last for long if worn a lot...but it has a place of honor draped over a Lenox swan she gave me in my armoire.

Just a story to say, like @Catiele's Crackerjacks ring...the value is in the memory, the sentiment, the joy it was given with. I love that. ❤️

Honored Contributor

I have a watch from my paternal grandfather, one from my dad. Also have a ring with an intaglio stone--the opposite of a cameo-- from my maternal grandmother. I have a gold locket from my stupid ex's  grandmother that I kept--Woman Wink And lastly,  my mom had a string of mikimoto pearls from her wedding that I could never find after she died. That makes me very sad. 

Trusted Contributor

I have my mom's first wedding set. A small little diamond ring and thin wedding band.  She was only 17 when she got married and she wore it so long until both bands wore so thin.  I always admired her rings when I was young, I thought they were the most gorgeous rings ever...lol  I always wanted them.

Years after the death of my mother my father gave them to me for my birthday, my husband took them to a jeweler and they fixed them.  They are a little small and they can't be stretched anymore to fit me but each year on my birthday, Mother's Day, my moms birthday and my anniversary and my parents anniversary I wear them on a pretty chain as a necklace.

Honored Contributor

When one grandmother's two sons were the age to be married, she put a $500 savings bond for a boy, and a platinum cocktail ring of 16 perfectly matched diamonds for a girl in her lock box.

I only wear the ring on special occasions.

Esteemed Contributor

I had my mother's engagement and wedding ring diamonds (small) that she had reset into a new setting after my dad died. I say that I "had" it, until it was stolen. I can't prove it but I'm quite sure that a cleaning lady I'd had for about a year got into my jewelry box and took it. She suddenly quit her job of cleaning for me and said she'd found full-time work. It was after that when I realized my mother's beautiful ring was gone....broke my heart.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom's wedding and engagement ring set.   It does not fit me and I just have it hidden in the house.  Perhaps I should have it resized so it can be worn.  It's beautiful and brings back so many wonderful memories of my mom wearing it.

I also have a small diamond that belong to my grandmother - it was from her wedding set. I had that made into a pretty solitaire necklace; however, I seldom wear it as I'm "saving" it.  I'm not getting any younger - I'm going to need to start enjoying it and wear it!

Lastly, I have my mother in-law's engagement ring.  It's a beautiful ring that I wear daily. 

Honored Contributor

Pearls pearls and more pearls. I inherited my aunt's double strand (she never had children) and when my Mom passed away I received her pearls with a diamond clasp. She had inherited her mother's (my grandmother's) pearls, so I have those, too.

I've worn them often...even just running errands. I'm sure they wanted me to enjoy them and not stash them away.