Respected Contributor

Do you have a special piece of inherited jewelry?

Anyone care to share the history of your piece? Or anything about it? Thought it might be fun to do this since weather here is horrible today.

I have my mom's engagement & wedding ring. She passed  in 2018, sadly after a long battle with dementia. My sis and I decided that I should keep it. But we will pass it on to our niece when the time is right.

In 1948 my dad went to jewelers row in NYC to shop for Mom's engagement ring. He went to a few places and chose the ring, a 2/3 ct near perfect center diamond with 2 smaller diamonds on each side, set in platinum. Once he bought it, the usual procedure was to then go to a few other jewelers to have it verbally appraised so he could be sure it was worth what he paid for it. If he was told the ring wasn't worth his price he could take it back for a refund. Dad was pleased with the appraisals and Mom cherished that ring all her life.

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you have a special piece of inherited jewelry?

@Kalli  My most cherished piece is a ring from my grandmother. I spent many summers with her as a kid and we were very close. She lived to 101 and I never saw her without this ring on. It was engraved on the inside and given to her mother by her father and it's over 200 years old. It has a diamond in the center with smaller garnet stones around it. I don't often wear it for fear of losing it and it's too small for most of my fingers. The second piece is my engagement ring which my hubby and I designed and we included the smaller diamonds from my other grandmother's ring. So each one is special in that they are handed down from many generations of special Women in my family. Great post idea!

Respected Contributor

Yes - I am fortunate to have quite a few.  I have both of my grandmother's wedding rings.  I have my grandmother's gold charm bracelet that features many memorable charms from events in her life (she was born in 1894).  I have an amethyst necklace that was my great great grandmother's.  

Respected Contributor

I have a sapphire & diamond ring (in the style of Princess Diana's) but way smaller.  It was my Mom's who passed 10 years ago. 

I wanted her wedding set for sentimental reasons but it was never found.  She had dementia and hid her valuables (very few) and then couldn't remember where they were.  My brother still lives in the house.  Found some cash and old coins but no wedding set.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, a beautiful (and not small), engagement ring from an aunt who never had kids. And the style is back in now!    I have a son who is 30 and now has his first girlfriend. We adore her, so I told him it's his to give her when he is ready! Hoping it works out, never know.. 🙏🙏🙏💝

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom's beautiful platinum wedding set. I wear it often on my right hand, with a diamond infinity band of my own she also gifted to me.

My grandmom's yellow gold wedding ring...the old kind they used to do in that day, carved floral cut out design.

Two rings my great grandpa bought, one for my mom and one for my grandmom, I think when my grandma gave birth to my mom. My mom was born only 3 lbs, months early, both she and her mom were given the last rights and weren't supposed to make it. Thankfully, God had other plans. Grandma lived to be 86, and my mom until 91. I have those rings, each a high tiffany setting, ruby, in 14k gold, and ruby happens to be my birthstone. My mom wore hers everyday. I've had the other for years, then inherited mom's after she passed. I seldom wear those...that high setting is not a practical ring for me, and my hands are more petite than my mom's long fingers. She wore that everyday no problem. But I sure love having them, and the story behind it. Plus I was very close to my great grandpa, Pop, who bought those...who lived until I was 7.

I am an only child so I got all my mom's jewelry so I have many treasured pieces, and I wear some from time to time, happy to have them. She loved to "treat herself" "with her paycheck" on Friday's she'd tell me when she "worked downtown" (New Haven, CT)...and back in the day she'd either go to Macy's jewelry counter or Savitt's jewelers. I have some of her treasures from those days. A very pretty white gold solitaire pendent, round diamond in a tear shaped setting. A very lovely pearl ring, white gold, with a small diamond on each side. So simple and so beautiful...the pearl's luster is so white and beautiful still. I wear that often.

There's others.....❤️

Respected Contributor

I have a Craker Box ring that my father gave me that he found in the soil when he was turning over the soil. He smiled when he gave it to me. It has a red stone and it's adjustable. It came in a Cracker Jack box. It is a memory that I treasure.

Respected Contributor

I have wedding sets from my mom, grandma and great grandma. Love them all.

Honored Contributor

My mom gave me some high quality loose gems. A ruby and an emerald. She also left me a golden South Seas pearl necklace. Never wore it. The loose gems are certified and I keep them as an investment.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli, thanks for starting this thread...it's a nice topic, and I love reading everyone's treasures and why they treasure them.