Honored Contributor

Do Lug bags off gas and ruin jewelry?

[ Edited ]

I bought two Lug Trolley bags to keep downstairs so I have a single place for small cosmetics downstairs. These are the cosmetics I need in a hurry or for traveling. The rest is upstairs in my vanity area drawers. I have a similar issue with jewelry. Boxes will come and I need a place to store them downstairs, temporarily, or for travel. I put a few boxes of unworn Diamonique and a very inexpensive necklace I bought from Amazon inside the second Lug yesterday.  That necklace is gold over brass or something. All the jewelry is in original boxes which include the little black anti tarnish squares. If you own a Lug Trolley or similar, does it off gas and cause immediate tarnishing? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Do Lug bags off gas and ruin jewelry?

I thought you left out a word in your title so I read the post to see what you meant. You did it again there. What does "off gas" mean?

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

I'm so confused with your post, first you are talking about makeup

What has the bag done to your makeup?

Then you are talking about jewelry and it ruined your jewelry?

LUG bags are made in China and are 100 polyester.  Polyester doesn't affect jewelry, maybe humidity?

Respected Contributor

@santorini  Off gassing is the chemicals that are emitted from a product or substance.

For example, you paint your room and room smells like paint, that is referred to off gassing.

Honored Contributor

I never had any trouble with any of my Lug bags off-gassing.  No smells, nothing.  But I don't keep anything in the ones I'm not currently using.  I store them in my closet with the little silica gel packs that come with them.

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling@Mindy D  Since polyester is made from organic compounds it can emit noxious gases.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling @Sorry. I'll probably edit the post of it's unclear. I just got these bags. So far, the mskup one is working out well. 

Since I have the second Lug,I thought I'd use it as a temporary place to keep some of the jewelry I have downstairs. I just wanted to know if the fumes from the plastic that I smell in the bag have damaged anyone else's costume jewelry by causing quick tarnishing. 

I'm a little concerned about my idea of using the Lug bag so I'll probably take the few boxes out of it and just put them in a ziploc bag...ziplock plastic does not cause tarnishing. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

Me, personally, if I smell anything and I mean anything, I would not keep it.    

Those smells will penetrate and you are keeping them closed. There are so many nice bags out there that don't have any smells to them.  There's plenty of Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder cosmetic bags very inexpensive on e-Bay that work great for what you want them for.

Even clothing, I'll pass right up, some of Sam's and even Costco's clothing has that chemical smell, they can keep it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling @Thanks. I just took the boxes out of the Lug and put them in a Ziploc. There's two boxes I'm still looking for. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

I don't think you're going to get many answers because most people are buying Lug bags to use as a handbag.  I just don't think they're being purchased to store jewelry or makeup.  So you may get opinions, but no one is going to have the actual experience to report on.  Just curious - did you originally buy these just to store things, or did you not like them enough to use as handbags?  If that's the case, I'd return them and buy makeup bags and jewelry storage bags.  Then you won't have to worry about it.  Good luck!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett