Respected Contributor

@Shanus   I've been into jewelry for nearly 30 years, so my taste has evolved a lot.  In the beginning I thought I liked everything, so I bought lots of things I no longer wear.....although they are much more valuable now because most are in gold, and some are now rare gemstones.

I've discovered that what really turns me on is brightly colored gemstones (colored sapphires, opals, ammolite, etc.).  I'm into designer looks and like larger rings, but I like to stack my colored gemstones bracelets.  I don't like bulky necklaces or earrings because I'm a thin person who can't stand all the weight on me.

So......no, I don't really follow trends, but if I see something that is different from what I already have (hard to do now since I have so much), I will get it because I still love having something new!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I usually wear the classic stuff. Trendy is not me. I like being a little conservative when it comes to my jewelry but not so small and dainty that you have to get in my face to see it...lol! 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I wear what I like.  I have bold and I have dainty.

I tend to go a little lighter in the summer months because heavy jewelry makes me hot.

I have always preferred white metals.

@faeriemoon   I agree about going lighter in the summer...but lighter to me means less pieces not necessarily lighter jewelry. I may wear 3 bangles w/ my watch instead of 5, etc. Because I’m “small”, I’ve been gifted many dainty pieces especially during my teen years. I still have them because of sentimental attachments, but I’m saving them for my granddaughters. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I usually wear the classic stuff. Trendy is not me. I like being a little conservative when it comes to my jewelry but not so small and dainty that you have to get in my face to see it...lol! 

@SilleeMee   You are so right. If a piece of jewelry is that small/dainty that someone has to get that close to have a good look, they’re in my personal space....That’s a no!

Honored Contributor

Re: DAINTY JEWELRY TREND

[ Edited ]

Taste in jewelry hasn't changed much over the years and don't  follow trends.  No, dainty doesn't fit my personality and doesn't look good on me.  

Have always liked big and bold, long necklaces, thick bracelets, watches with wider bands and larger faces, and because I have long fingers, I can wear large rings.  My clothing style is monochromatic classic and; although I'm on the thin side, I think this type of jewelry works best for me.  

Still wearing some hand crafted sterling pieces purchased in my 20's.  Although, I have some gold, prefer sterling silver over it and fashion jewelry, but have some of Joan Rivers Chanel inspired.  I also wear Heidi Daus and Louis Dell'Olio.

Never wore dangle or stud earrings.  

I don't pile my jewelry on.  One necklace, one ring, and watch might be enough.  Don't always wear earrings and bracelets.  Since my jewelry is bold, I try not to overdo it.  

Honored Contributor

I think dainty looks better on the younger girls.  For me I'm still wearing my medium or slightly bold jewelry.  I was never into very large statement pieces but my earrings have to be drops that are at least 2 1/2" inches long so you can see them peeking our from under my hair.  I never was one for small earrings or posts.

Respected Contributor

Shanus:  Your jewelry collection sounds beautiful.

I usually wear dainty necklaces and earrings, but my bracelets and rings are more substantial. 

Trusted Contributor

I have always been a conservative dresser, so understated pieces were always my thing.  Studs or huggies for me. Layered chains, layered station necklaces, gemstone line bracelets, no rings or watches.  The bold look is great on others--my style is low key.

Honored Contributor

Re: DAINTY JEWELRY TREND

[ Edited ]

dainty jewelry is not for me.

in fact, i am going in the opposite direction.....bigger, bolder, and fun pieces.

have purchased a few pieces of costume jewelry at baublebar within the past month.

for mothers day i received some kendra scott jewelry......definitely big and bold.

my kids know me so well. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Although the tiny charms on thin chains are layered and earrings are smaller hoops or studs, I just can’t get on that bandwagon. Yes, my huge overpowering statement necklaces are packed away temporarily although Leah still wears them beautifully.

I enjoy an arm full of bangle bracelets, necklaces that are more substantial layered w/ my pearls, etc. Instead of a few thin 18” gold chains, I still prefer my white metals. My old diamond studs are still somewhat larger and pearl studs as well. I haven’t changed my personal style.

How has your jewelry style changed (or not) with the trends?

I think dainty jewelry is cute but not for me.  I am hard on jewelry so i have to wear substantial jewelry.