Respected Contributor

Best type of place to sell GOLD???

I have some gold jewelry that I don't wear anymore.  What is the best type of place to sell it?  TIA

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Re: Best type of place to sell GOLD???

The last time gold was very high and I wanted to sell some broken chains, unworn things, etc. I found that US Goldbuyers was far and away the best place to sell.  I requested a shipping envelope online and estimated the weight of the gold, put it in a plastic zip-lock type bag and then into the envelope, and requested a pick-up.  FedEx came to my house, I handed them the envelope, and a couple of days later got a price quote, which I accepted, and they sent me a certified cashier's check by mail, which I then deposited to my bank account. 

I know lots of people prefer to sell locally to their own jeweler, but my experience has been that US Goldbuyers offers significantly more money per ounce than any local place.  You can go to their website, find out what their current price is, then take what you want to sell to your jeweler and ask them for a quote.  After getting several local quotes, you can compare to the USG estimate, and decide where you want to sell.

Respected Contributor

We sold our gold at a gold and silver dealer which was also a coin shop. They had the current price posted, sorted the pieces by karat weight, and calculated each category in front of us. They totaled the amount and paid us while we watched the entire process. I think using a reputable local buyer is an excellent method of selling with full accountability.

Respected Contributor

@spent2much  Now is the time to sell. I take mine to a local American Gold and Silver Exchange. There's probably one or similar near you.

Honored Contributor

I asked around and found a coin stop that buys gold and pays more than any other place I've tried. I wouldn't go anywhere else at this point.

Stay away from chain stores.

Ask for how much they pay per pennyweight. I was surprised at how little some pay.

Honored Contributor

I went to a local jeweler---there are those coin dealers in my neck of the woods and they are rip-off artists, IMO. I brought some to them once---and ended taking it all back and went to the jeweler