Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@songbird, Sapphires are my birthstone but good ones w/o fissures and no lead glass are hard to come by.  I won't buy any, nor would I buy the rubies.

Yellow and Pink Sapphires originate from Ceylon as well.

I don't buy any gemstone without a lab report.  All of mine have  lab reports. 

You go girl!  I should have owned one years ago but never did.  I can't afford the famed Ceyon Sapphires now.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

Sapphire is my birthstone and I can't afford one - LOL.  I don't want the ones that you see commercially that are black, chipped, included, or filled.  I want a good stone - don't think I'll ever have one.

Honored Contributor

Re: Beautiful Sapphires

[ Edited ]

@nycgrl wrote:

Sapphire is my birthstone and I can't afford one - LOL.  I don't want the ones that you see commercially that are black, chipped, included, or filled.  I want a good stone - don't think I'll ever have one.

You can get some good ones in the $1,200.00 to $2,000.00 range. They'll be in the one carat zone, but that's OK!  And they are blue, not black.If you buy in a jewelry stores, try the estate section.  Older jewelry is cheaper then brand new. For jewelry networks (the good ones) the best price wise is TVON.  Anyone here will tell you that. Even better is Gem Shopping, but it will be in he $3,000.00-$4,000.00 range. Gem Shopping's policy is that they never sell glass filled anything. You can buy loose sapphires.  Almost always $1,000.00 a carat.  You can buy a semi mount later.  Don't purchase them set in silver with zircons (the poor man's diamonds)  from the cheaper networks. You certainlly get what you pay for in sapphires. . 

By the way, it is against the law for a non citizen of Sri Lanka (Ceylon) to purchase a sapphire on thier soil.  Only natives can own them.  Sapphires are a source of pride. Miners have high rank there.  And yes, most colorful sapphires are from Ceylon.

Honored Contributor

I like sapphires too.  I own a ring with one yellow and two green sapphires purchased by me, a pair of blue sapphire and diamond earrings purchased by my son for me, and  a bee pin with beautiful blue sapphires given to me by my husband for my BD one year.

the clasp on the bee pin broke, so I took it to a high end jewelry store to replace or repair it.  When I went to pick it up, the owner came out to speak to me.  She offered to buy the pin from me and offered me a price that made me gasp.

Of course, I would never sell a gift from my DH,  When I got home, I told my husband what happened.  He informed me that he paid a high price for that piece, more than my engagement ring.  I was shocked.

The sapphires are a beautiful shade of blue, not dark blue/ black,  I used to wear that pin often.  Now, I am more careful where and when I wear it.

When I visited Bangkok, I saw a blue sapphire and diamond ring that floored me.  I almost bought it,but because the salesman was pushy, I didn't.  I still dream about that ring,

Valued Contributor

@songbird I can't imagine hating a gemstone. There are some stones that don't appeal to me, but hating? I, too, love the rubies and sapphires but I've never been able to purchase a really fine quality ruby or sapphire.