Valued Contributor

About the Ripka line, question and reflection

Before I get piled on, let me say this, I own many, many pieces. Of late It all looks like it is too delicate and frankly on the cheap side. I like mine weighty, can anybody point me to a chain, or something new that isnt rinky dinky in look and feel. I used to buy chains and toggles and they were substantial and didnt wipe out my account, where are these pieces now??? I am listening!

Valued Contributor

Re: About the Ripka line, question and reflection

PS.. it must be in the 2-3 hundred $ range aND i HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PUT JR ENHANCERS ON IT. PLEASE SHOP FOR ME!

Trusted Contributor

I think we can see the direction the new ownership wants to take the line in.  Lower prices are definitely part of the plan to include as many consumers as possible.  Yes, there will be the more costly pieces at every show,  but the days of exclusivity due to price are now gone for the most part.  The styles are still very pretty, but it is becoming more and more of a costume jewelry line, IMO, than a couture knock-off selection.

Trusted Contributor

I disagree about the quality going down.  I have many pieces, old and new, and the new still wears as well as the old.  While some of her pieces may be more delicate than others, I don't see anything wrong with that, either.  I don't consider that a sign of lowered quality, just different designs that may not be as weighty as some others.

You can always try the secondary market like eBay.   

Valued Contributor

ITA! The line has slowly declined over the years. For me personally, the line in the sand was when DMQ started to show up in almost every item. And now, aside from a few pieces here and there that are over the top in styling and price...most of the line is heading towards costume. The only thing I bought this year was the tank watch with MOP face~in the two tone.
I used to buy a lot of JR's line when I was working and have enough to open a small boutique!
If you've been around a while, I'm sure you can remember other lines from talented designers that once sold became so different to the original concept. I would be sad to see this happen to JR as, she is such an iconic designer.
There used to be an outlet about 2 hours from me. I could call them, tell them what I was looking for and they would find everything and send me a PDFs catalogue to choose from! It was great. But sadly it closed.
I have so much and my lifestyle is different now, that I really don't need anything. But my thought now, is one or two pieces a year from the boutique in NYC,
Valued Contributor

Well, I guess I am not alone then. I keep things on 24/7, they must be able to hold up. Dainty is not my style, I almost just picked up the leather choker but then I read you can not put pendents on it. The station necklaces dont work too well as the atation competes with the pendent. You would think this would be easy, but it is starting to take a bunch of time combing the JR pages. I will keep trying, maybe the Fifth Ave piece again 

Esteemed Contributor

If you look on the Bay under Pollack necklaces there are several of her 18" 110 gram necklaces which can be had for as little as $129 a great buy.  This necklace looks a lot like. Ripkas early heavy chains.  Btw I own this necklace and it is a go to classic.

Respected Contributor

I have a lot from the old Ripka line (Limon quartz, heavy necklaces with pearls etc) and I love those pieces.  I do find pieces in her new stuff, that I like, but I am more choosy. 

This last TSV bracelet seemed nice and a pretty good price.  I think I have just become a better consumer

Deb

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have pieces from years ago when JR used more real gemstones.   Those pieces are weighty and look expensive.

The items I see now are way over priced and look cheaper to me.  I cannot afford anything in her line.   It's way off the charts.

Too much DMQ is so true.   I don't like the lab created ones either.  If they want us to pay $100's of dollars, then I don't want imitation.

I have also noticed that Michael Dawkins' line has also gone way up in price and down in quality.  I got a pair of earrings a while back that felt like plastic, not silver.   I don't buy much jewelry anymore on QVC, although I have so many pieces, I could also open up my own boutique.

Esteemed Contributor

@Black Cat Back I stopped buying from QVC for both Ripka and Dawkins lines a while ago because IMO they  had beccome too expensive and because the newer pieces didn't meet my expectations.  If I'm going to pay that kind of price, I want real gemstones and quality.  I enjoy the pieces I have and still watch the shows but I'm just no longer willing to buy.

That's just my opinion - obviously if you love the item and it speaks to you, that's great and I hope you enjoy it.  It is supposed to be "fun".