Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I missed the introduction of this show.  So I don't know exactly what 1KT gold is.  The website says it has the same mixture of metals of 14K but the brilliance of 18K.  Still not clear what it is.  It looks like another attempt to sell gold somehow because it's become out of reach for many people.   From what I understand, it's simply 1 karet of gold manufactured in such a way to resemble big bold gold.  Very strange.  Not 9K, 10K,14K, 18K or 24K.  Just 1K.

@songbird  ..  I heard that it is ONLY 4% gold .. I am definitely not buying. 

Honored Contributor

What a ripoff.  It's technically worthless.  But there are plenty of viewers (many on fixed incomes) who post during the few gold shows sayig they won't buy....too expensive.  So QVC got you this...And they must be selling this.  This is the second time I've seen this company on QVC.

Super Contributor

Worthless costume jewelry.

Respected Contributor

ONE KT?!  Sorry.  I have not bought anything gold in decades but even way back then I was told if I wanted anything of "worth" never go below 14 kt.  10kt because it was more of a mix was stronger than the higher carat weights, good for everyday wear.  but ONE carat being sold as fancy jewelry? at a fancy jewelry price?  No thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

No, no, it IS 1kt gold under the plating.

The Government changed their definition.  Bless their hearts ♥️ 

Some mysterious alloy with a drop of gold.

They could at least mix it with silver.  Anyway it is way to expensive.  I would love to know if they sold any lol

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

No, no, it IS 1kt gold under the plating.

The Government changed their definition.  Bless their hearts ♥️ 

Some mysterious alloy with a drop of gold.

They could at least mix it with silver.  Anyway it is way to expensive.  I would love to know if they sold any lol

I don't know what is mixed with the drop of gold.  It can't be much silver, as the color is always yellow with that brand.  Maybe more then normal copper?  They don't specify.  In fact a lot of other gold brands avoid telling you what they mix.  Eterna Gold is another brand that does the same thing. What do they throw in there?  Titanium?

18K is still gold to me, even though I now buy 14K. Even Americans look down their noses at 10K.  Sorry, I just can't imagine anyone buying 1K gold.

Super Contributor

I also heard them say it was 4% gold. Does that mean 4% out of 100%, or out of 24kt gold?

QVC is just not giving us enough information. To me, it sounds like it has a very thin coating of gold. Way too expensive for what the pieces are made out of. I'll for sure pass on these pieces.

Respected Contributor

Songbird1, I am pretty sure I heard the introduction, and the vendor was describing an alloy that was only one part out of 24 being pure gold, and then surface plated with 14kt (14/24ths) gold.  I suspect that it's more durable than the 14kt plated over resin that QVC also sells, but it is most certainly not fine jewelry, since it's only gold plated, not solid gold.  Or maybe because the interior alloy contains 1/24ths gold, i.e. 1kt and the outer alloy is 14kt, the Q can claim it's solid gold?  I don't know, but that's a rather sneaky way to adhere to the letter of the "solid" description without actually following the spirit of what "solid gold" ought to mean.

Respected Contributor

@Remar wrote:

I also heard them say it was 4% gold. Does that mean 4% out of 100%, or out of 24kt gold?

QVC is just not giving us enough information. To me, it sounds like it has a very thin coating of gold. Way too expensive for what the pieces are made out of. I'll for sure pass on these pieces.

1 divided by 24 is .04 or 4 percent. That may mean that the alloy itself is 1KT or that the alloy + coating = 4%. Who knows. Whatever, I would not buy it.

Respected Contributor

I got the twisted hoop earrings and they are stunning. Don't know if I'd buy a ring because it would take a lot of wear and tear and not sure how it would hold up but I'm really happy with my purchase.