Honored Contributor

Re: washing microfiber cloths

@goldensrbest  I almost forgot to tell you.  My late husband used to clean windows using cleaner and newspapers.

There are a lot of people who use newspapers to clean windows.

I never have but some people swear by it and it's cheaper than some things.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 , when we were first married and lived in an apartment we didn't have a washer or dryer so I had to go to the laundramat.

I always dropped my sheets off at the cleaners next door to have them laundered and ironed.  It would have meant another load for me to do and I wanted out of there as fast as possible!

One day I had the woman behind the counter actually ask me if wasn't I just next door doing laundry.  Yeah, so?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@goldensrbest  I almost forgot to tell you.  My late husband used to clean windows using cleaner and newspapers.

There are a lot of people who use newspapers to clean windows.

I never have but some people swear by it and it's cheaper than some things.

That is the way people use to do that, i remember that real well.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I was thinking just the other day when I was putting in some clothes into the washer "how we don't think about how lucky we are that we have washers and dryers".

So quick story....(it's boring so some might want to skip over).

Back in May 2001 lightning hit the tree outside of our house.  It bounced off and hit the roof.  Caught it on fire.  We had maybe 4 or 5 fire trucks at the house.  It was crazy!  

Anyway, we couldn't live in it for 5 full months.  The firemen pulled down the insulation from the ceiling and it got wet and it looked like my house had been bombed!

We got new everything and much of the house had to be 'rebuilt'.

Finally, my point...I know, takes awhile for me...During that time we could eat anywhere we wanted to (any fancy restaurant, anywhere) we just saved the receipts.  Sounds wonderful and it was but you'd be surprised how after awhile you start craving a peanut butter/jelly sandwich or just some 'home cooking'.

Anyway, we lived in a hotel (we got to pick the hotel) for 5 full months.

The only bad (really bad) part of all of this is we had to take our clothes to the laundromat.  Ugh!  It brought back memories of when I was living with my sister and her 4 children.  She was a single mom and it was before the government gave help.  It was a struggle every day.  My sister worked 2 jobs and my Dad paid her to let me live with her.

That was terrible seeing the things (i.e. dirty diapers, filthy clothes) people put in those washers.  It was terrible.

So, my late husband and I would wait until we didn't have any underwear, etc and go off to the laundromat.

It was a little better than way back in the early 60's with my sister...but it was best to not look too closely at what some people would put in those washers.

With us it was mainly underwear and a few shirts, etc.  Most of our clothes had been taken out to be cleaned and stored.

I have a healthy respect for people (like I hear many in New York that don't have washers in the apartments) and places like that.  My daughter lived in an apartment that had washer and dryer to be used by everyone in the basement.

That was the first thing she bragged about when she rented her townhouse..."Mom!  It has it's own washer and dryer".  Yea!

Funny thing was the day the cleaning company was removing everything to be stored and cleaned a truck pulls up to deliver a new washer and dryer we'd just purchased BEFORE the fire!

The poor delivery guy says, "So where do I put it"?  My late husband said, "Take it back to the store for now".  Ha!

It's been 18 years now and I still use the same washer and dryer (he eventually brought it back).

We take for granted how well those big appliances work day in and out.  

One of the big purchases I had to buy not long after my husband died was a refrigerator.  I went almost a month not even using one.  True story.  

I couldn't decide what I wanted.  When he was alive and because he had a builder's license, I'd go into a huge warehouse where there was every kind, every brand, etc and pick out what I wanted.  Then my husband would barter about the price (which was cheaper than most paid for it because he'd buy several at a time).

But this refrigerator had to fit into a particular spot (inches and feet).  What a freaking job.

Anyway, my girls were going crazy.  They didn't live at home anymore and thought I was nuts.  I am but that's beside the point...Ha!

I'd get ice and put milk and a few things in a chest and did just fine.  I don't cook much so it wasn't as bad as it sounds.

I live alone and back then I had 3 or 4 cats (can't even remember).

But thank goodness I haven't had to do that again....(knock on wood).

I'm getting ready to 're-do' my house.  I have absolutely no talent when it comes to decorating.  My late husband was amazing at all of that.  I find it all boring.

I am starting with a new roof.  The roof guy says, "What color".  I say, "Whatever's on there, exactly like that".  What color siding, "Whatever's on there".  Ha!

This might be easier than I think....Stay tuned people!

Respected Contributor

I wait til I have enough of them saved for the washer, never put them with my clothes, use All free detergent extra rinse too and hang to dry, I go to Costco to buy them much cheaper there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's best to launder mf towels only with other mf towels in warm or hot water with mild liquid detergent. Do not use vinegar because that can breakdown the fibers and cause the towels to start shedding. Ideally mf towels should be air dried but who does that?? So dry them on the lowest heat setting and only with other mf towels. Do not mix other non-mf items in the dryer with them. That will only cause the mf towels to catch lint from the other things. 

Keep in mind that not all mf towels are the same. The ones made specifically for cleaning glass and mirrors are your best option. But if you don't want to go this route then reserve some of your regular mf towels just for cleaning glass and mirrors in order to reduce cross-contamination which can show up on your glass.

@goldensrbest 

I buy all of my mf products from microfiberwholesale dot com. On their website there is a section called Knowledge Base and there you can find a whole bunch of info about how-to and FAQs about everything mf.

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother getting sheets delivered from the dry cleaners.   I guess they laundered them, not dry cleaned them.  For what my dry cleaners charges now days I could buy new sheets instead.  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I feel the same as you do about those Campanelli microfiber cloths that are "special" for face cleaning.  I was going to split the order between my girls and keep one for myself.   I tried one and felt they were not worth the price.   The small ones were super small.  The others seemed no different than other microfiber cloths I have.   Also, didn't need the bag they come in.  It was a return for me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've found that the ones I buy here from Bio Cleaner work great, but I do make sure I never use them for anything else, so they don't pick up any oils.

I wash them alone, on very hot water, with a very tiny amount of soap (very tiny), and line dry. 

I've not had a problem with them yet, although some are getting pretty ratty and may need to be discarded soon.

If it is regular microfiber cloths you are using, I'm not sure what the issue could be, but a vinegar rinse does sound like a good idea. 

Edited to add

Oh, and I never use anything but water. I think any kind of cleaners just cause streaking and filming.

Honored Contributor

I buy the buff microfiber towels on amazon,i see on microfiber warehouse.com ,they have them also in the fresh,never tried them,i cleaned the inside of my car today ,use several cloth i have for only use on car, washed them with a little dawn,and rinsed with vinegar ,like what was mentioned on here.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.