Respected Contributor

Re: replace mattress but not box springs?

A mattress should never wear out in three years. The problem that Sealy and the other manufacturers have done is convinced people to buy a one-sided mattress. Mattresses used to have two sides and you would rotate and turn them. I have one, a Sealy, that is over 25 years old and it is still a wonderful mattress.  

The original mattress factory continues to sell mattresses that have two sides to them. Sealy makes them with two sides too but only made for the hotel industry because the hotel industry knows.

Also Stearns and Foster is also a Sealy mattress, it’s the same company.

Esteemed Contributor

I have done that. A box spring is a box spring. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have a handmade tall bed with posts. When they delivered my mattress and base the (what used to be Sleep Number) base wouldn’t fit. They returned it and gave me credit and said my base which is locally handmade is like new so I’m still using it after about 18 years. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

We have a Sealy pillow top mattress and box spring set that is less than 3 years old. The Mattress has packed and matted badly. We are not heavy people.  It looks like Norman Bates mother was in my bed!!

Has anyone ever just replaced the mattress and not the box springs?

Any experiences with Sterns and Foster?

@granddi  You might see about having someone come out to look at it since it might still be under warranty.  If you end up needing a new mattress anyway, yes, you can buy a mattress and use your current box spring.  Due to my experience with a very expensive, but horrible Stearns & Foster mattress, I'd say run and don't look back. 

Believe it or not, we bought a bed in a box from Wayfair.  It's one of the best purchases we've ever made and since we bought ours other family members got the same one.  It's called a Gramercy 14" Hybrid by Classic Brands.  We have it on a smart base, but you could use it on a traditional box spring.  We were in a hotel over the weekend and that bed was so hard it made my body hurt all over.  I couldn't wait to get back in to my own bed when we got home.  In fact, I climbed in earlier than usual! 

Respected Contributor

yup. we have had cats forever. and they totally tear up the underneath. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you don't have your original paperwork the tags/codes on the tags will provide warranty info.

I would call Sealy if they are under warranty. I've had Sealy forever and they stood by their products but I only buy a set with a 10 yr warranty.

I had one set of Stearns and Foster and never again. Didn't wear well and everything was the customer's fault.

Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

A mattress should never wear out in three years. The problem that Sealy and the other manufacturers have done is convinced people to buy a one-sided mattress. Mattresses used to have two sides and you would rotate and turn them. I have one, a Sealy, that is over 25 years old and it is still a wonderful mattress.  

The original mattress factory continues to sell mattresses that have two sides to them. Sealy makes them with two sides too but only made for the hotel industry because the hotel industry knows.

Also Stearns and Foster is also a Sealy mattress, it’s the same company.

Thanks you to all. I checked out the Original mattress factory.

Honored Contributor

Yes, you can replace the mattress without replace the box spring.  Salesman will try to sell you both but it's not necessary if the box spring is good.  Three years is awfully fast to wear out a mattress.  How long was the warranty?  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a latex tallalay pure natural mattress which does not allow any body indentations and can last over 50 years plus.

What you see is what you get.

Pure comfort in any position with great support.

Also you get a great warranty against future defects.

I also bought the 8 inch mattress and added 1 1/2 inch latex topper which I placed on my wall bed and did not need any box spring.

Lastly I bought 2 Queen latex pillows which alleviate any discomfort and pain, and I really love using them, along with the latex matress and topper.     

Honored Contributor

I bought a bed in a box a few years ago and I put it on a box springs I had that was in great shape-----works just fine !!