Respected Contributor

replace mattress but not box springs?

We have a Sealy pillow top mattress and box spring set that is less than 3 years old. The Mattress has packed and matted badly. We are not heavy people.  It looks like Norman Bates mother was in my bed!!

Has anyone ever just replaced the mattress and not the box springs?

Any experiences with Sterns and Foster?

Honored Contributor

Re: replace mattress but not box springs?

Yes, this summer we got a new mattress for the master but kept  and are using the old box springs....there was nothing wrong with them.

Honored Contributor

Dealers will try to say both need to be replaced. That's not true. Just get a mattress if box spring is in good shape.

Honored Contributor

Might be in good working order but....

there’s something synergistic about getting

both new at the same time.  

💛🌼

Honored Contributor

We replaced our mattress only and not the boxspring

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@granddi 

We have 3 SleepNumber mattresses which don’t require box springs.

So long, farewell!

If you have cats, you know what they do to box springs. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi,

Your mattress should have a warranty if it’s only 3 years old, and you should try to push for a replacement under the warranty.

I used the warranty on my daughters 7 year old Sealy to get her a replacement, for the exact same problem you mentioned.  With the records from the store where purchased, clear pictures that showed the breakdown, and the mattress tags (the ones you never cut off under penalty of the law), the mattress was pro-rated, and I received that credit towards the cost of a replacement mattress.

Our Sealy mattresses have 10 year warranties; I think there is full replacement in the first year, then prorated for all types of mattress failure after that.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a box spring. I have a platform and that never gets replaced. 

Respected Contributor

Before you buy a new mattress get in touch with Sealy. Let them come and look at it. You might be able to get a replacement free of charge. What you are describing should not happen to a 3 year old mattress.

Honored Contributor

I'll echo the replies about getting the mattress warranted.

3 years is just not what you paid for. 

But if you have to or want to just buy new, I would look the box spring over really well, as it is so new, it should not need to be replaced. 

Just be sure your new mattress doesn't have a requirement about having a new box spring in order to have it (the new one) under warranty.