Respected Contributor

refund on a dishwasher contract

had service man come out Thursday to repair a very loud running dishwasher .he ordered 2 parts but one part was no longer available so we got an email from maytag last night that dishwasher is unrepairable. our contract has 3 years left on it and we paid 450.00 for it so there sending us a check for 287.00. dishwasher is allmost 10 years old. dw still cleans well so were waiting for it to die then we will buy a new dw.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: refund on a dishwasher contract

@Pooky1, did you have an extended warranty?  I think you did pretty well after ten years of service.  What was the make?

I bought a Bosch 13 years ago.  Whisper quiet.  Highly recommend.  No service calls in 13 years.  It has stainless steel interior, buried element and is tall tub.  Will buy the same when it does.  

Good kuck with your new choice.  LM

Valued Contributor

Maytag is the brand referred to.

Super Contributor

Smart move, good for you! That is exactly what I would do.

Respected Contributor

it was a maytag tall tub portable. yes it was the extended service plan. well worth it.in the allmost 10 years that dw was fixed like 10 times atleast. replaced motor, control board, pump twice, heating element. but that was a recall when we first got it. allso replaced door latch and silverware basket and tower thing that feeds top spray arm. each repair was like 300 bucks so service contract was well worth it.

Respected Contributor

Curious: is this the only repair contract you had paid for or were there previous? Adding contract cost to cost of dishwasher divided by 10 gives me a perspective of dishwasher value.
I understand plight. My 4 year old LG had three parts ordered and one not available. I got value if snout $500 to replace $800 spent. Soooo upset. I think you are wise to just wait until it dies.
Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 you can research all the brands & figure out which one you want before it dies. I have been looking for DD, 13yr old dishwasher &  was shocked at the prices. Just a matter of time before she needs a new one. Glad you got some refund back. 

Respected Contributor

no it wasnt the first contract. you get the best price if you buy the 5 year contract. it was definently at least 2 contracts and maybe a shorter contract in beginning. c

ontracts are much cheaper when machine is newer and gets higher in price as machine gets older. and you figure i use the contracts like 10 times ans each repair other than door latch was like 300.00 bucks.

Trusted Contributor

I think with the extended warranties, there is a point where they want to stop servicing you if you actually submit claims.  Extended warranties tend to make the companies lots of money because people don't use them.  If they are offering a high quality product there is no use for one.  Since you have had many repairs you are lucky that you purchased an extended contract.  However, I would question the quality of the product you purchased to begin with.  I have a Stainless Steel Kitchenaid which I have had for 10 years and have never had a problem.

If I were you, I would take that $278 and put it towards a new dishwasher instead of living with a very loud dishwasher.  If I couldn't hold a conversation in my kitchen while the dishwasher was running, it would have to go.  You have probably paid for multiple dishwashers right now by purchasing the extended warranty.

Respected Contributor

the funny thing is now its barly making any of that load noise it was before. before the whole hour and 40 minute cycle made all that noise now most of cycle is normal .just now and then it makes a noise ocationally. dont know why. cant explain why. maytag doesnt make a portable dw any more. just whirlpool, kenmore and i think ge. my first choice is whirlpool then kenmore. my wife allways tells me when it comes to dw and washer and dryer get what you want but stove and refrigerator then that her department.